We believe that a diverse workforce provides better service to our clients and a better work environment for our attorneys and staff. We have thus made recruitment, retention and promotion of attorneys who add to our overall diversity, including attorneys of color and underrepresented groups, a priority for our firm.
To help us meet our commitment to diversity, we have established the Davis Wright Tremaine 1L Diversity Scholarship Program. We offer two scholarships (one position in our Seattle office
and one position in our Portland office
), which consist of a paid Summer Clerkship and $7,500 for the student’s second year tuition and expenses.
The Diversity Scholarships are open to all first-year law students of color, or others of diverse backgrounds, who:
- Have a record of academic achievement in both undergraduate school and the first year of law school that demonstrates promise for a successful career in law
- Are committed to civic involvement that promotes diversity and will continue that commitment upon entering the legal profession
- Are committed to practicing in the Northwest after law school
Please submit the following materials via our Self Apply site.
- Current resume
- Copy of your complete undergraduate transcript
- Copy of your grades from the first semester of law school (if grades are not available by the application deadline, please supplement the application as soon as possible)
- One-page essay indicating the applicant’s eligibility for a scholarship and connection to the Northwest
- Legal writing sample un-edited by a third party
- List of two or three references, one of whom should be a person qualified to comment on the applicant’s law school work
Although demonstrated need may be taken into account, applicants need not disclose their financial circumstances.
Applications were received between December 1, 2012, and January 16, 2013. Interviews will be scheduled for finalists before scholarships are awarded. Questions can be directed to:
|Portland Scholarship |