We believe that a diverse workforce provides better service to our clients and a better work environment for our attorneys and staff. We have thus made recruitment, retention and promotion of attorneys who add to our overall diversity, including attorneys of color and underrepresented groups, a priority for our firm.
To help us meet our commitment to diversity, we have established the Davis Wright Tremaine 1L Diversity Scholarship Program. We offer two scholarships (one position in our Seattle office
and one position in our Portland office
), which consist of a paid Summer Associate position and $7,500 for the student’s second year tuition and expenses.
The Diversity Scholarships are open to all first-year law students of color, or others of diverse backgrounds, who:
Although demonstrated need may be taken into account, applicants need not disclose their financial circumstances.
- Have a record of academic achievement in both undergraduate school and the first year of law school that demonstrates promise for a successful career in law
- Are committed to civic involvement that promotes diversity and will continue that commitment upon entering the legal profession
- Are committed to practicing in the Pacific Northwest after law school
Our online application site
is open from December 1, 2013 through January 15, 2014. Per NALP guidelines, we are unable to interview first-year law students prior to December 1. Application materials required:
Come meet us at these off-site receptions
- Current resume
- One-page personal statement indicating your eligibility for the scholarship and your connection to the Pacific Northwest (if you are an out-of-area applicant and you will be in town during the application window, please indicate those dates in your statement)
- Copy of your complete undergraduate transcript
- Copy of your grades from the first semester of law school (if grades are not available at the time you apply, please supplement your application as soon as possible via email by attaching your first semester law grades and send to Brook Dormaier for the Seattle office or Hiroko Peraza for the Portland office)
- Legal writing sample un-edited by a third party
- List of two or three references, one of whom should be a person qualified to comment on your law school work
- Lewis & Clark
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 12 p.m.
- University of Oregon
Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Willamette University
Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 3:30-4:30 p.m.
- Seattle University
Thursday, Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:00-7:00 p.m.
- University of Washington
Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:00-5:30 p.m.
- K&L Gates (Seattle)
Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Law Student Recruiting Manager