Lynn Manolopoulos represents a wide range of industrial, commercial, and individual clients in matters involving environmental state and federal laws and regulations. Her experience includes enforcement defense, environmental compliance counseling, Brownfields redevelopment, permitting, and defense of cost recovery and citizen suit litigation. Lynn is a chemical engineer whose legal expertise covers a full spectrum of environmental issues, from regulatory and litigation matters and compliance counseling to transactions involving contaminated property refinance and development.
Lynn’s clients include Chevron U.S.A., AT&T, Barbee Mill Co., Panos Properties, Spic n’ Span, T-Mobile, Western Peterbilt, and Metrie.Practice Highlights
- Defense of Clean Water Act enforcement action by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) involving alleged stormwater permit violations.
- Successful settlement and defense, and continued defense of multiple cost recovery claims concerning the cleanup of hazardous substances. Assists clients in pursuit of other liable parties and in negotiated settlements with state agencies and third parties.
- Represents Fortune 500 clients in cost recovery efforts involving the United States and private PRPs relating to the cleanup of petroleum hydrocarbons and other hazardous substances at former military facilities. Develops alternative strategies to secure federal funding from federal Judgment Fund and other federal sources.
- Represented client in the implementation of a Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study at a federal Superfund site under an Administrative Order on Consent with the EPA. Assisted client in evaluating resolution of Natural Resource Damages claims.
- Defended client in enforcement action by municipal agency and EPA resulting from unauthorized discharges of hazardous materials to storm water systems.
- Negotiate prospective purchaser and state and local government agreements to facilitate cleanup and site closure for the redevelopment of former industrial facilities.
- Represented client in prosecution of litigation to recover damages for over 100 past violations of Alaska state cleanup laws and the Federal Clean Water Act. Case concluded with a favorable settlement providing for full compliance and payment of damages.
- Assisted Fortune 500 company in its development of a national audit strategy and in defense of enforcement action alleging violations of state and federal hazardous waste laws.
- Represented client in defense of environmental cost recovery claim asserted in bankruptcy court.
- Assisted Fortune 500 client with environmental integration of new subsidiary into existing compliance programs and advised on all aspects of environmental compliance.
- Advised client on appropriate response action associated with hazardous substance spill into surface water system. Prepared experts for negotiations with state and local agencies and developed strategy to minimize potential penalties.
- Represented Fortune 500 client in Pollution Control Hearings Board appeal concerning the use of nested vapor probes for site investigations. Resolved through agency agreement to improve its regulatory process and allow for expanded use of nested probes in Washington state.
State cleanup and Brownfields redevelopment for Barbee Mill
Cleanup and sale of a former sawmill contaminated with arsenic. Assisted in the planning for residential redevelopment in conjunction with cleanup of this property located on Lake Washington. (Ongoing)
Olympic Sculpture Park development for Seattle Art Museum
Developed strategy for the purchase, cleanup, and redevelopment of a former bulk fuel facility into a nationally renowned sculpture park. Work included the negotiation of two prospective purchaser agreements with the Washington Department of Ecology.
Long-term lease transaction in lieu of sale
Negotiating long-term lease of contaminated property to allow redevelopment without change in ownership to preserve insurance coverage. (Ongoing)
Citizen suits for Skyline Electric and Green Creek Wood Products
Defended Clean Water Act citizen suit alleging stormwater violations. (2016)
Citizen suit for major oil industry supplier
Negotiated settlement of Clean Water Act citizen suit and assisted with consent decree and clean water act compliance. (2016)
EPA enforcement action against large manufacturer
Representing client in Clean Water Act enforcement action by the EPA, alleging storm water violations. Avoided proposed compliance order and obtained prompt settlement credit. (Ongoing)
EPA enforcement action against major truck manufacturing and service company
Defended company against municipal and EPA enforcement actions. Developed compliance strategy and negotiated settlements, facilitating the sale of the company. (2016)
Environmental Claims Involving the U.S. As a Liable Party
U.S. cost recovery against Fortune 500 company
Ongoing defense of Alaska cost recovery claims involving allegations under federal law concerning the cleanup of PCBs at former U.S. defense sites. (Ongoing)
Major oil company claim against U.S.
Action to recover costs from U.S. for cleanup of historical bulk fuel facility. (Ongoing)
Superfund cleanup and Brownfields redevelopment for Altino Properties
Negotiated and assisted in implementation of an Administrative Order on Consent with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for the performance of a Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study at a site located along Lake Washington in the Seattle area. (Ongoing)
Superfund cleanup for Methanex Corp.
Management of ongoing cleanup liability at California Superfund site pursuant to a settlement agreement. (Ongoing)
State cleanup actions for major oil company
Defending major oil company in complex environmental claims involving state cleanup demands in Washington and Alaska. (Ongoing)
State remediation claim for Panos Properties
Favorable settlement of cost recovery action against other liable parties for the cleanup of chlorinated solvent contamination. Following settlement, oversight of continuing cleanup actions and development of site closure strategy. (Ongoing)
Marine Environmental Consortium v. State of Washington
Defended Washington salmon aquaculture industry in appeal by environmental groups
of waste discharge permits for eight facilities. Judgment in favor of industry clients. PCHB Nos. 96-257 through 96-268 (Wash. Pollution Control Hearings Board); affirmed on appeal to Washington State Superior Court. Read more