As the entertainment industry continues to expand, collaborate across market segments, and find new ways to exploit its products, entertainment companies benefit from working with a law firm that has established expertise in all parts of this industry.
Our entertainment industry team provides clients a unified, end-to-end legal solution, including:
- Full support on financing, production, IP protection and licensing from the start to the finish of a project.
- Effective defense of theft of idea, misappropriation, defamation and privacy suits.
- National labor counsel helping clients maintain the flexibility and cost structure they need to thrive, and manage disruptions when they arise.
- Tax lawyers ensuring compliance, for both for-profit or nonprofit entities, and provide advice on ways to structure projects to improve financial results.
- A highly efficient immigration team securing approvals for foreign talent to work in the United States.
Our award winning lawyers are recognized as among the best in the country, enjoying Chambers rankings in transactional entertainment and media law, as well as a No. 1 national ranking in the areas of media law and First Amendment in The Best Lawyers in America.
We work across the industry, representing marquee clients in music, television, radio, theater and other live entertainment, and magazine and book publishing. We help clients develop relationships and secure agreements to exploit their work through multiple channels.
With deep expertise in our clients' legal and business issues, we help them spot opportunities, identify issues before they arise, manage risk, and free them to focus on the creative work they love. We have long-term relationships with many clients, which enables us to be a valuable source of institutional knowledge. Our lawyers share your passion for the work you do.
The matters we handle on a regular basis include the following:
- Rights acquisitions for entertainment productions in all media
- Motion picture, television, home video/DVD and related financing, production and distribution
- Production and financing for live theatrical productions on Broadway and beyond, including representation of a number of prominent producers, writers and composers
- Music publishing
- Streaming and downloading of music on the Internet
- Licensing of famous fictional characters and trademarks in connection with a wide variety of goods and services including video games, toys and apparel
- Trademark counseling, registration practice and dispute resolution
- Copyright counseling, including joint authorship issues, termination of licenses, and work-for-hire issues
- Radio station and other on-camera talent agreements
- Print, online, radio and television syndication agreements
- Sale of artwork and other matters related to the visual arts
- Development, distribution, licensing and marketing of video games and board games
- Production and pre-broadcast counseling
- Title clearance review–analysis of proposed titles for television programs and feature films to assess any potential legal risk