Few industries are growing as rapidly or changing as quickly as the game industry. Our team has worked with games companies throughout the industry’s development, and our lawyers share your passion for games and what it takes to make them successful. We help our clients spot opportunities, manage risk, and identify issues before they arise, enabling our clients to focus on the creative work they love.
We provide practical and timely advice, our staff work efficiently, and we match the right level of attorney experience to the needs of each project. The attorneys in our games practice have experience with companies in all market segments and across the world, including games companies resident or distributing in Japan, Korea, China, Canada and Europe.
Our games team is part of a larger industry group that focuses on the arts, entertainment and media industries. We work with our clients on cutting-edge issues, including advising companies on the electronic distribution of content, the complex relationships among content developers and distributors, and identifying emerging regulatory concerns that arise from games and other interactive technologies. We help policymakers understand the nuances of the issues that come with new game technologies, as well as the importance of preserving enduring legal and constitutional principles in this context. This range of experience and skill enables us to help clients develop relationships and secure agreements to exploit their work across multiple channels.
Our clients range from startups and emerging companies with unique products and business models to global market leaders and include companies producing toys, casual games, consoles, video games, mobile games, and online games (including MMORPGs). We provide a unified, end-to-end solution to your full range of needs, including:
- Development and distribution contracts; creation, production and distribution agreements, including internationally outsourced development arrangements
- Defending against content-based claims, including defamation, invasion of privacy, false light, and misappropriation
- Advertising policies, agreements and insertion orders for print, Internet, television, radio, and video games, as well as dynamic and static product placement agreements
- Protecting from excessive regulation of game content and/or ratings systems
- Ongoing production counsel for the issues that arise during development; pre-publication review; and assessment and advice for privacy issues
- Corporate formation, funding and outside general counsel services; mergers and acquisitions; tax planning, both domestic and international; and employment and immigration matters
- Safeguarding your intellectual property from piracy and other IP infringements, and protecting your business from being impeded by others challenging your rights.
- Trademark and copyright strategy, clearance, registration and enforcement
- Portfolio management and litigation