DWT’s immigration lawyers are best known for handling complex business immigration cases for corporate clients all across the country and around the world. The DWT immigration team is part of a full-service law firm with over 500 attorneys located in offices in Seattle, Bellevue, Portland, Anchorage, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington D.C., and Shanghai.
Our immigration partners based in Portland and Seattle have more than 65 years of business immigration experience. DWT’s team is also well known for serving Chinese and Japanese clients, since we have a number of attorneys and paralegals who are bilingual. All of our immigration attorneys are members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), which provides daily updates regarding important legal developments in the field of immigration law and policy. Ours is a close-knit, well-organized, and highly efficient team that has worked together for years.
Our corporate clients include universities, research institutes, hospitals, performing arts organizations, hi-tech companies, newspapers, TV producers, commercial real estate developers, telecom companies, seafood processing companies, restaurants, retail stores, and multinational corporations in a wide range of industries. We also regularly assist individuals with family based green card applications and citizenship applications.
We handle all types of nonimmigrant and immigrant visa petitions, including the following:
- L-1 intracompany transferee, E-1 treaty trader, E-2 treaty investor
- H-1B specialty occupation, H-2B skilled workers in short supply, H-3 trainees
- TN professionals from Canada and Mexico
- P-1 athletes and entertainers, P-3 culturally unique performing artists, and O-1 aliens of extraordinary ability in arts, sciences, education, business and athletics
- B-1 business travelers, F-1 students, J-1 exchange visitors
- PERM labor certifications
- Green cards for multinational executives, outstanding professors and researchers, and persons of extraordinary ability who are at the top of their field
- Green cards for spouses and parents of U.S. citizens and other relatives
- Green cards for EB-5 investors and their family members
- Applications for U.S. citizenship
We also regularly advise clients on immigration compliance issues, including
- Completion and retention of I-9 employment verification forms
- Responding to I-9 audits and other worksite enforcement issues
- Immigration consequences of mergers and acquisitions
We wrote the book
Many companies rely on Davis Wright Tremaine's "Business Immigration Handbook," written by our immigration attorneys and updated regularly. The handbook is a summary of immigration rules for U.S. employers. The handbook explains the basic requirements for the nonimmigrant visa categories that are most often used to employ foreign nationals and the steps involved in obtaining green cards and U.S. citizenship for foreign nationals who wish to permanently live and work in the U.S.
Order the "Business Immigration Handbook"