We have wide-reaching experience representing a broad-based mix of clients, including electric generators, industrials, local distribution companies, municipal and investor-owned utilities, investors, and energy marketers on natural gas/liquefied natural gas (LNG) regulatory and transactional matters and related litigation. Our attorneys have substantial experience practicing before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). We combine long-standing familiarity with the energy policy issues confronting the FERC with in-depth technical knowledge of FERC’s regulatory processes, rulemaking procedures and compliance standards. We have participated in trial-type hearings and settlement conferences and have filed numerous applications, pleadings and comments of all types. In addition, we have represented many clients in subsequent federal court appellate proceedings both challenging and supporting FERC decisions.
- Regulatory litigation: Our lawyers represent clients on natural gas pipeline rate, certificate and rulemaking proceedings before the FERC and in the federal courts of appeal.
- Tariff issues: We represent clients on the full range of issues raised by such filings, including, for example, capacity release, creditworthiness standards, natural gas quality and interchangeability issues.
- LNG permitting: We assist clients through the complex permitting and regulatory proceedings, frequently involving multiple stakeholder groups, required in order to move such projects ahead.
- Settlement: We have extensive experience in the settlement negotiation process and in supporting and challenging settlements at the FERC and in the federal courts of appeal.
- Compliance/enforcement: We advise clients on natural gas compliance issues, including assistance in developing in-house compliance programs, compliance with standards of conduct and representation in enforcement investigations.
- Asset transfers: We advise on transactions involving the sale or transfer of FERC-regulated regulatory natural gas assets and assist in obtaining requisite FERC approvals.
- Contracts: We advise on natural gas transportation and supply arrangements and assist in contract negotiations.
- Outsourcing: We assist large gas users in evaluating third-party options for reducing energy costs.