Environmental issues can substantially affect a company’s operations and its bottom line, even if its core business has little impact on the environment. Regulatory proceedings are often complex and can significantly delay or limit business activities. If not resolved expeditiously, environmental issues can result in costly and time-consuming litigation.
We have the depth and experience to help clients assess risks, assume ongoing compliance, and address concerns with project development, business transactions, permitting and government investigations. We work on the full range of environmental and natural resources issues, the emerging body of climate change regulation, and sustainability issues.
We serve a diverse client base involved in many industries, including energy, manufacturing, real estate development, agriculture, transportation, and telecommunications. We also represent trade associations, governmental bodies, and nonprofit organizations in addressing these same concerns.
We are well-positioned to work efficiently with clients and effectively with regulators. Attorneys on our team have worked as engineers, environmental consultants or government officials. We know the process, “get the science” and understand how to work with your team members–in-house counsel, executives and consultants–and other interested parties such as environmental groups.
Regulatory and compliance advice
We offer regulatory assistance in virtually every area, including:
- Responding to information requests and violation notices
- Directing national compliance audits involving the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act
- Investigating contamination and negotiating “no further action” determinations
- Leading potentially responsible parties (PRP) committees at major federal Superfund and state cleanup sites
- Assisting in environmental impact reviews and documentation under NEPA, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, the Endangered Species Act, and corresponding state laws
- Developing municipal infrastructure, including water supply, treatment and distribution systems
Corporate and real property transactions
Our extensive transactional work has included:
- Environmental due diligence assistance on behalf of lenders and purchasers
- Negotiations with state and federal agencies to limit liability in contaminated property purchases
- Sale and acquisition of numerous environmentally sensitive businesses
- Negotiation of environmental insurance, contract releases, and indemnity provisions
- Definition of ongoing business and seller liabilities at highly contaminated sites
Extensive litigation services in governmental and commercial disputes
Our litigation team excels at handling complex environmental and natural resources disputes with government entities and commercial interests in administrative proceedings, trial courts and courts of appeal.