The realities of escalating resource demand, environmental degradation, and climate change are all dramatically transforming the way many businesses make decisions and conduct operations. We believe law firms should join their clients in this effort. Our attorneys work with clients to not only develop innovative solutions to environmental challenges, but also to think of environmental stewardship as their own personal responsibility. Understanding what sustainability involves will help us better counsel our clients about the steps they need to take.
We believe in encouraging environmentally sustainable practices—in ways both big and small. This means supporting the growth of the cleantech and renewable energy industries through our legal work and also making simple changes firmwide that help minimize our ecological impact.
We are committed to cultivating positive habits among our attorneys and staff—we believe in our collective power to make a difference. We started forming local “green teams” in our offices in 1991. In 2008 we created a formal firmwide green team, comprising both attorneys and staff, to promote a dialogue of awareness and to challenge one another to “reduce, then recycle.”
The sustainable practices our offices have implemented include:
- Stocking reusable or compostable dishware and flatware
- Providing composting bins in our kitchens
- Utilizing 100 percent post-consumer, ancient forest-friendly business cards and stationery
- Encouraging friendly challenges between offices in developing sustainable practices and reducing our carbon footprint
- Replacing bottled water with filtered tap water
- Providing the option to receive pay stubs electronically
- Encouraging videoconferencing as an alternative to traveling for meetings
- Offering conference attendees the option of receiving conference materials on a thumb drive rather than on paper
- Installing light sensors in private offices, meeting rooms and conference rooms
- Distributing compact florescent bulbs when possible rather than incandescent bulbs
- Donating old supplies and equipment when possible to schools and other community recycling centers