We hope the resources provided here will help you address the challenges presented by COVID-19, vaccination mandates, and manage a remote workforce.
Practice & Industry Expertise
From outbreaks of COVID-19, Ebola, SARS, Zika, and other pathogens, our experience includes counseling clients on the legal issues and government agencies at the intersection of emergency preparedness, infectious disease prevention and control, and workplace illness response. Consisting of employment and labor, business and tax, healthcare, food safety and pathogens, media, and litigation professionals, our team can guide you through your experience as circumstances continue to evolve.
Remote Work Issues
The transformation to a more remote workforce presents employers with a myriad of difficult to answer questions with respect to issues such as taxation, privacy, and workplace policy. DWT has established a cross-practice team to help address these and other pressing concerns arising from the prevalence of a remote workplace. For additional details, see Remote Work.
As vaccine mandates roll out at the state and federal levels, difficult decisions lie ahead for employers. Some of the most pressing questions asked of our team include: Can an employer require employees to be vaccinated? What if an employee refuses vaccination? Will an employer be liable if an unvaccinated employee contracts COVID-19 and exposes coworkers? Does an employer need to pay for time and costs associated with COVID-19 testing for unvaccinated employees? Our team stays current on the issues creating uncertainty and can help businesses navigate the unknowns surrounding COVID-19 vaccinations. For additional details, see Vaccines.
Insights by Practice and Industry
To view insights by your industry or a specific practice, please visit Our Expertise.
Virus Response: Contact us
The "home office" has become the only office for a large percentage of the workforce. Employers are now faced with difficult questions like:
- Do I need a formal telework policy and what should it cover?
- What are the state tax implications of my newly remote workforce, such as state individual income tax withholding requirements, state employment taxes, and state business/sales taxes?
- What privacy laws should I be aware of, such as those concerning telecommunications and electronic communications or an employee's expectation of privacy?
- Can I renegotiate or rescind my commercial lease for space I no longer need?
While these questions may seem like treacherous new ground, our team at DWT can help you navigate the applicable legal considerations to keep your business on the right footing.
DWT has established a cross-practice team to help answer these and other pressing concerns arising from the remote workplace. Consisting of employment and labor, tax, privacy and security, real estate, and business law professionals, our team can guide you through these monumental changes, and to plan and adapt for the future.
Remote Work Insights
On the face of it, new COVID-19 vaccination and testing guidance may present issues to employers that are confusing and difficult to analyze. Fortunately, our dedicated team at DWT can help businesses understand their legal obligations and craft efficient implementation strategies.
Some of the concerns facing employers that our team is equipped to deal with include whether:
- Your business is required by federal, state, or local law to mandate employee vaccinations.
- A mandatory vaccination policy is prohibited in any jurisdiction in which your business operates or employs workers.
- An employee qualifies for a religious or medical accommodation.
- Employers may require independent contractors, subcontractors, and any others on-site (including clients and customers) to be fully vaccinated.
With these issues in mind, DWT has established a multidisciplinary team to help businesses address the host of pressing challenges arising from COVID-19 vaccination mandates. Our team is ready to guide you through these monumental changes and adapt to a dynamic future.
Chair, Employment Services Group