Kate Berry is a member of the firm's technology, privacy, and security group where she helps clients navigate and comply with the multitude of state, federal, and international privacy laws that data-driven companies face, including the GDPR, CCPA, COPPA, and FERPA. Her experience includes counseling clients as they launch new products and services, drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements with significant technology components, and supporting larger M&A transactions. Kate's clients range from small startups to the world's largest technology companies, and from enterprise services to consumer-focused retailers.
Helping clients design and implement tailored privacy programs that achieve compliance with complicated privacy laws and regulations while meeting business goals. Drawing from prior experiences as a technology product manager to communicate fluidly across complex legal, technical, and business considerations.
Supporting clients' efforts to transform their relationship with privacy laws: moving from merely building compliance to shaping privacy laws and regulations. Helping clients prepare proposed state and federal legislation, develop advocacy strategies, draft markup and responses to proposed legislation, and provide comments to administrative rulemaking.
Understanding new products and services to help clients successfully launch new initiatives. Offering 360-degree "issue spotting" to highlight compliance obligations and risk mitigation solutions.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., Columbia Law School, 2018
- Notes & Submissions Editor, Human Rights Law Review
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
B.A., Political Science, Women's and Gender Studies, Amherst College, 2012, magna cum laude
- Five College Certificate in International Relations
Memberships & Affiliations
- Washington State Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- The Overlake School Alumni Board
- Associate, Technology Transactions & Privacy, Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, 2018-2020
- Clinic Student, Human Rights Clinic, Columbia Law School, New York, N.Y., 2016-2018
- Summer Associate, Paul Hastings LLP, New York, N.Y., 2017
- Legal Intern, Civil Rights Bureau, Office of the Attorney General, New York, N.Y., 2016
- Program Specialist, Global Hotlines Program, Polaris, Washington, D.C., 2012-2015