As a litigator, Maryam is attuned to risk calculation and uses this insight to advise clients on risk mitigation and management, as well as litigation strategies. The scope of her expertise includes helping clients establish privacy and security programs and policies that comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), operationalizing the requirements of state and federal law within their existing infrastructure, advising on state and federal breach notification laws for security incidents involving health data, and analyzing complex issues as they pertain to launching new product lines.
Maryam served as the interim compliance officer for a client that processes large volumes of patient medical information and is adept at delivering actionable advice in language that is digestible for many companies.
Privacy and security
Litigation and agency inquiries
Dedicated to providing legal services to indigent clients. In providing pro bono assistance, focused on victims of domestic violence, criminal justice reform, and child poverty issues. Currently volunteering with multiple organizations, including the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia, the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless, and the Tahirih Justice Center.
Admitted to Practice
New York, 2015
District of Columbia, 2016
J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2014
- Outstanding Law Graduate Award Recipient, National Association of Women Lawyers
- Managing Editor, The Federal Circuit Bar Journal, 2013-2014
B.A., Political Science and Humanities, Binghamton University, State University of New York, 2009
Memberships & Affiliations
- Co-chair, Privacy & Data Security Committee, Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Capital Area Muslim Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Named to "Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll" by the D.C. Court of Appeals and the D.C. Superior Court, 2018-2019 ;High Honors 2019
- Associate, 2015-2018; Summer Associate, 2012 – Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Legal Intern, United States District Court, District of Columbia, Washington, D.C., 2014
- Legal Intern, Washington, D.C., Superior Court, 2012
- Intern, Baker & McKenzie, Washington, D.C., 2012