Brendan works with journalists and a wide variety of content creators to solve legal problems efficiently and effectively. He helps projects cross the finish line by providing pre-release legal review, obtaining access to public records and court proceedings, and negotiating and resolving disputes with potential claimants.
In litigation, Brendan defends intellectual property, defamation, and privacy claims strategically to conclude cases as early as possible. He has litigated motions, and assisted with trial, in state and federal court, and has experience resolving cases through mediation and arbitration. Brendan develops winning factual records by taking meticulous discovery and witness examinations—employing a deep understanding of the facts and law for tenacious, incisive advocacy.
Brendan devotes a significant amount of his practice to pro bono work to promote government transparency and protect those who exercise their right of free speech. He regularly sues government agencies for public records on behalf of nonprofits, is a member of DWT's initiative to provide pro bono assistance to journalists, and is a part of DWT's team working in partnership with the TIME'S UP Legal Defense Fund to assist individuals who come forward with accounts of sexual assault by advising on how to mitigate the risk of retaliatory legal claims.
Clearance and access
Managing risk and avoiding disputes
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Southern California Law School, 2013
- Founder and President, USC Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union
- Editor, USC Hale Moot Court Honors Program Executive Board
- USC National Moot Court Team: Regional Champion and National Best Advocate – 5th Place, 2013 ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition
B.A., History, Columbia University, 2008, with honors
- President and Spokesperson, Columbia Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union
- Summer Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine, Los Angeles, 2012
- Supervising Clinical Intern, Intellectual Property and Technology Law Clinic, University of Southern California Law School, Los Angeles, 2011-2013
- Litigation Paralegal, McLaughlin & Stern, LLP, New York, N.Y., 2008-2010