Claim Defense & Resolution: Aaron Colby represents organizations and individuals in a variety of claims. Aaron's depth of knowledge is focused on single-plaintiff and class action disputes involving wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and wage and hour issues such as overtime, meal and rest breaks, and off-the-clock work. He represents organizations on public accommodations claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act and California Unruh Act, and on claims of defamation, trademark, and other business-related matters.
Aaron resolves disputes in all contexts, including direct settlement negotiations, private mediations, contractual arbitrations, administrative agency proceedings, judicial settlement conferences, and state and federal court litigation.
Advice & Counseling: Aaron develops effective employment policies and practices to manage risk and avoid litigation. He advises on day-to-day HR issues, such as leaves of absences, reasonable accommodations, workplace investigations, timekeeping and pay practices, and terminations and layoffs.
Cannabis Industry Group Leader: Aaron is a leader of the firm's cannabis law industry group. Aaron coordinates our industry team, representing organizations directly engaged in and adjacent to the emerging cannabis industry. The group leverages the firm's broad industry knowledge to provide full-spectrum representation on matters related to cannabis, CBD, and hemp. As a member of the group, Aaron counsels employers on navigating the patchwork of state and federal cannabis regulations impacting employees and the workplace.
Clients: Aaron has represented or advised large, midsize, and small organizations across all industries:
- Restaurant/Hospitality: Blaze Pizza, Bludso's Bar & Que, Botanical Hospitality Group, Café Gratitude, CapitalSpring, Carlo's Bakery, Catch Hospitality Group, Cocobella Creamery, Eleven City Diner, Freedman's LA, Fresh Brothers Pizza, GH Food Group, Gracias Madre, Great Bowery, Joe & The Juice, JOEY Restaurants, Lemonade Restaurant Group, Mendocino Farms, Nate 'n Al's, Norms Restaurants, Pink's Hot Dogs, Real Food Daily, Red Lion Hotels, Relocity, Salt & Straw, Shari's Berries, Sizzling Platter, SoCal Silver King, Spago, Sunlife Organic, The Apple Pan, Vesta Restaurant Group, Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining Group, Zankou Kitchen.
- Media: Alfred Street Productions, Bodega Pictures, Cogent Entertainment Marketing, Facebook, Funny or Die, GSE Worldwide, Hulu, Invisible Media, La Brea Media, Mission Control Media, National Association of Theatre Owners of California and Nevada, Optomen Productions, Participant, Sesame Workshop, Spectral Productions, Spotify, Time USA, Tremolo Productions, Vice Media.
- Agriculture/Produce: Advantage Produce, Charlie's Produce, Coast Produce Company, Del Rey Avocado Company, Family Ranch, Lynch Creek Farms, Professional Produce, Reser's Fine Foods, Walker Foods, Worldwide Produce.
- Manufacturing/Distribution: Fleetwood Aluminum, HTI Polymers, LC Industries, Mariak Industries, Martinez Steel, Monoprice, Sechrist Industries, See Water, The CORE Group, World Class Freight.
- Healthcare: Healthcare Services Group, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Leisure Care, Monte Nido & Affiliates.
- Financial/Retail: 24 Hour Fitness, Balenciaga, Bank of America, Funko, Komono, Gucci, Intuit, Rumble Fitness, T-Mobile.
- Cannabis: Ghost Herbal Concepts, 710 Labs, Palm Royale Collective.
- Transportation: Alaska Airlines, American Honda Motor Corporation.
- Nonprofit: Hillsides Organization, The Butkus Foundation, CORE Cares.
- Security: Andrews International, Cormax, Staff Pro, U.S. Security Associates.
- Construction: Valle Reinis Builders, Paradise Construction.
Single Plaintiff Litigation
Class Action and Multi-Plaintiff Defense
Administrative Agency Charges and Audits
Advice and Counsel
J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 2006, cum laude
- Associate Editor, Southwestern University Law Review, 2004-2006
- Associate Editor, Entertainment Law Reporter, 2005-2006
- Co-president, Entertainment & Sports Law Society, 2004-2005
- Dean's List, 2003-2006
B.G.S., Communications, Sociology and Psychology, University of Michigan, 2003, with high honors
- Dean's List
- University Honors
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2006
U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2006
U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2006
U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2006
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board Member, CORE Cares, 2019
- Committee Member (Insurance/Human Resources), California Cannabis Industry Association, 2019
- Settlement Officer, Los Angeles Superior Court CRASH Settlement Program, 2014-present
- Co-founder, Jeffery A. Colby Cancer Research Fund which promotes colon cancer research and awareness, 2003-present
- Selected to "Southern California Rising Stars," Thomson Reuters, 2013-2020
- Associate, Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold, LLP, Los Angeles, 2006-2010
- Legal Department Extern, Screen Actors Guild, Los Angeles, 2004
- Extern, Hon. Susan Bryant-Deason, Los Angeles Superior Court, 2004
- Legal Department Intern, Mattel, Inc., El Segundo, Calif., 2003