Cliff DeGroot focuses his practice on counseling startups, emerging growth companies, and restaurants. He has extensive experience forming and structuring corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships, and frequently advises clients on private placements of convertible notes, preferred stock, limited liability company interests, and limited partnership interests to angel investors, venture capital groups, and private equity funds.
Cliff is also a certified public accountant with a solid background in accounting and finance, having served as the senior financial officer for multiple companies, and as an auditor for an international accounting firm.
Prior to joining Davis Wright Tremaine, Cliff practiced law at another international law firm, where he focused on corporate transactions and governance, often representing private equity portfolio companies. He was also formerly the CFO of a NASDAQ-listed technology company based in Petah Tikva, Israel, and the commercial manager of a joint venture with one of the global leaders in the flavor industry.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 2005
- Business Law Statement of Completion
- Quarterfinalist, National Tax Moot Court Competition
- Regional Mediation Competition
- Co-chair; Board Member – Law and Entrepreneurship Students Association
B.S., Accounting and Finance, University of Oregon, 1994
Memberships & Affiliations
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Former Board Member, ReFIT Remodeling for Independence Together
- Former Youth Soccer Coach, Tualatin Soccer Club and Lake Oswego Soccer Club
- Listed as "Up and Coming" in Corporate/M&A (Oregon) by Chambers USA, 2016-2018