Desktop Image: Ernst, David A.
Mobile Image: Ernst, David A.
David's No Dabbler Details
Hometown: Portland, Ore.
What’s your sweet spot as it relates to this industry?
Food safety and pathogen crisis response.
What was your favorite food as a kid?
If you couldn’t be a lawyer, what would you be?
Own a combination hardware store/hot dog stand.
Why is food/bev/ag your chosen industry?
I enjoy the intersection of law and science.
What is your favorite food travel destination, and why?
Laos, for its exotic food and wonderful people.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
Pitcairn Islands. Most remote population on Earth with a population of 56 people.
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court District of Oregon, 1985
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington, 1990
J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, 1985, cum laude
B.S., Oregon State University, 1982, with honors
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Portland Youth Philharmonic, 2015-2018
- Chair, 2009-2011; Board of Directors, 2006-2011 – Business for Culture and the Arts
- Master Member, Owen M. Panner American Inn of Court, 2010-2016
- Chair, 2010-2012; Board of Directors, 2005-2015 – Classroom Law Project
- Co-chair, Portland Managing Partners Roundtable, 2007-2008
- Board of Directors, Multnomah Bar Foundation, 2005-2007
- Program Co-chair, Second Annual DRI Conference on Food Liability, Chicago, 2006
- Program Chair, First Annual DRI Conference on Food Liability, St. Louis, 2005
- Board of Directors, Multnomah Bar Association, 2005-2009
- Board of Visitors, Lewis and Clark Law School, 2003-2019
- Chair, 9th Circuit Lawyer Representatives, Oregon, 2001
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Member, DRI
- Named a "Recognised Practitioner" in Food & Beverages: Regulatory & Litigation (Nationwide) by Chambers USA, 2019
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Commercial Litigation (Oregon) by Chambers USA, 2005, 2007-2020
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Food and Beverage Law and Product Liability Litigation by Best Lawyers, 2011-present
- Selected to "Oregon Super Lawyers" in Food and Drugs, Thomson Reuters, 2006-2020
- Awarded AV rating by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Portland's "Lawyer of the Year" in Mass Tort Litigation / Class Action Defendants, 2017
- Awarded "Lifetime Achievement Award" by America's Top 100 Attorneys
Your search returned no results. Please try another search or remove search criteria.