Mark Hutcheson is a veteran labor and employment law attorney who helps employers in a wide variety of industries manage their labor costs. He has extensive experience in labor relations counseling and in assisting employers with strategic labor planning, union organizing campaigns, collective bargaining, and strike planning and prevention. Mark regularly assists senior executives and employers with executive employment agreements and severance packages.
- Assists clients throughout the United States on strategic labor relations planning. Client industries include healthcare, maritime, communications and media, financial services, construction and real estate, transportation and distribution, hospitality, agribusiness, and retail.
- Serves as outside labor counsel to numerous hospitals and other healthcare organizations on the West Coast.
- Assists buyers and sellers dealing with labor and employment law issues in merger and acquisition transactions.
- Serves as chief spokesperson for employers in collective bargaining.
- Helps both union and non-union employers comply with increasingly complex and confusing labor laws and regulations.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 1967
- Order of the Coif
- Recent Developments Editor, Washington Law Review
- 1st Nelson T. Hartson Scholar
B.A., University of Puget Sound, 1964
Memberships & Affiliations
- Labor and Employment Law and Health Law Sections, American Bar Association
- Employment Law Section, King County Bar Association
- Labor Relations Advisory Committee, American Hospital Association
- Member and Past President, LAW Fund
- Board Member and President, Endowment for Equal Justice
- Board Member, International Development of the Law Organization, USA (IDLO-USA)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation (life member)
- Named "AV Preeminent Rating" by Martindale-Hubbell 2017
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Labor and Employment (Washington) by Chambers USA, 2003-2020; Received "Band 1" ranking, 2012-2016; Received "Senior Statesmen" ranking, 2017-2020
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Labor and Employment Law by Best Lawyers, 1983-present
- Selected to "Washington Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 1999-2019
- President's Award, Washington State Bar Association, 2010
- Named one of "The Nation's 100 Most Powerful Employment Attorneys" in Human Resource Executive magazine, in list prepared by Lawdragon, 2010-2014
- Named one of "Top 20 in Traditional Labor & Employment Law" in list prepared by Lawdragon, 2012-2014
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers