Deborah Jacobson is an attorney with nearly 30 years of experience counseling clients in energy law.
Deborah leverages a deep knowledge of regulatory proceedings, including as a first-chair lawyer, to provide her clients with exceptional counsel. She has extensive experience appearing before state regulatory commissions and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) on power and energy matters. Deborah has written numerous pleadings and submissions, including white papers and responses to notices of proposed rulemakings, in a variety of FERC proceedings. As a public utility attorney in Oklahoma, Deborah has conducted regulatory hearings personally, leading dozens of rate cases and rulemakings.
Private-sector work as in-house counsel to energy companies has made Deborah an expert in negotiating, drafting, and reviewing contracts. As a policy advocate, she has achieved her clients' policy objectives across a patchwork of state, regional, and federal legislative and regulatory frameworks.
Areas of legal expertise include: compliance, regulatory policy, contracts, asset and real estate acquisitions, commercial transactions, competitive bidding, mineral rights, litigation, negotiation, and settlements.
Policy and legislative advocate of energy and power projects
Energy compliance and enforcement
Southwest Power Pool (SPP) Board
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court Western District of Oklahoma
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma
U.S. District Court Northern District of Oklahoma
J.D., Oklahoma City University, College of Law, 1988
- President, Student Bar Association
- Oxford University, Legal Studies
M.B.A., Oklahoma City University, Meinders School of Business, 1988
B.A., University of Oklahoma
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Federal Energy Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Judicial Committee
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) Subcommittee on Electricity; Subcommittee on Electric Reliability; Legal, Security, Transparency, and Pricing Working Groups
- Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission Legal and Regulatory Affairs Committee
- Liaison to American Petroleum Institute; The Petroleum Alliance of Oklahoma; Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association
- Chair, Oklahoma Oil and Gas Association (OKOGA)
- Member, Texas Oil and Gas Association (TXOGA)
- Corporate Counsel, Mammoth Energy Services Inc. (MES) and its affiliates: General Counsel to MES subsidiaries Aquawolf LLC, an engineering design firm; 5 Star Electric LLC; and Higher Power Electrical LLC, Oklahoma City, Okla., 2019-2022
- Acting General Counsel, 2019; Assistant General Counsel, 2015-2018, Commissioners of the Land Office, Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Lead Attorney, Regulatory Affairs, Devon Energy, Oklahoma City, Okla., 2004-2014
- Attorney, Oklahoma Corporation Commission, 1993-2004; FERC Team Lead, Oklahoma City, Okla., 2000-2004
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law, Management and Ethics, Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma City, Okla., 1988-1992
- Member, multiple committees, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Oklahoma City, Okla., 1995-2004
- Member, multiple committees, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissions (NARUC), Oklahoma City, Okla., 1995-2004
- Professor, "Marketing for Managers," National Center for Employee Development, United States Postal Service, Norman, Okla., 1993
- Law Clerk, Justice Marion Opala, Supreme Court of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, Okla., 1987