With his corporate finance experience and a thorough understanding of the law, Thomas E. Kim concentrates his practice on corporate and financial matters for investors and businesses at all stages of development. Thomas enjoys working with businesses to choose the most suitable legal structure, such as a partnership, corporation or limited liability company.
Thomas protects client interests by preparing and reviewing shareholder agreements, executive compensation arrangements, licenses, distribution and supply agreements, agreements for the purchase or sale of businesses, and other kinds of business contracts. He represents emerging growth companies, restaurant businesses, private equity investors, and venture capital firms in debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, and other transactions.
Thomas helps structure joint ventures, strategic alliances, and other partnering arrangements. He is passionate about helping startup company clients in various industries, especially in the technology and restaurant sectors. Thomas advises businesses on governance issues that are often raised by having a board of directors.
Thomas brings his experience of doing corporate transactional work for numerous market leaders in a wide range of industries, including wireless technology, software, telecommunications, Internet, e-commerce, and entertainment.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., Arizona State University College of Law, 2018, with honors
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law Full-tuition Merit Scholar
- Chair, Law Student Division, American Bar Association 2017-2018
- Chair, Asian Pacific American Law Student Association 2016-2017
- Site Director, Homeless Legal Assistance Project
- Deans Award for Outstanding Performance
B.A. and B.S., Mathematical Ecomomics and Psychology; Minor in Statistics, Pacific Lutheran University, 2015, with honors
- Board of Regent’s Full-tuition Merit Scholar
- President, Mortar Board National Honor Society
- President, Psi Chi International Psychology Honor Society
- President, Omicron Delta Epsilon International Economics Honor Society
- President, Ignite Campus Ministry
- Executive Senator, Associated Students of PLU
- Senator, Associated Students of PLU
- International Peer Advisor, International Student Services
Korean, and Spanish
Memberships & Affiliations
- Treasurer, Arizona DREAM Act Coalition, 2015- 2016
- Chair, 2017-2018; Secretary-Treasurer, 2016-2017 – Law Student Division, American Bar Association
- Chair, Asian Pacific American Law Students Association, 2016-2017
- Representative to the Board (Non-Voting), Arizona Asian American Bar Association 2016-17
- Long-Range Planning Board, 2018-2019; Vice Chair, Business Law Committee, 2018-2019; Board Member, 2017-2018 – Young Lawyers Division, American Bar Association
- Community Leader, Civic Leadership Academy 2018, City of Hillsboro
- Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Oregon State Bar Association
- Gold Key Award, highest award given to a law student each year, American Bar Association, 2017, 2018
- Scholarship, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, 2016
- Scholarship, Arizona Asian American Bar Association, 2016
- Freelance Law Clerk, 2016-2018; Summer Associate, 2016, 2017 – Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Portland, Ore.
- In-House Law Clerk, Legal Department, US Region, ASML, Chandler, Ariz., 2018
- Certified Limited Licensed Practice Attorney, Maricopa County Public Defender, Phoenix, 2017
- Extern, Capital Habeas Unit, Federal Public Defender, Phoenix, 2016