John McGrory is a trial attorney who focuses on commercial and complex litigation, with an emphasis on shareholder disputes, antitrust, and trademark matters. He also represents officers, directors, and companies in connection with investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission and state regulatory bodies. In addition to his courtroom experience, John regularly represents clients in arbitration and administrative proceedings, and provides antitrust counselling. John is chair of the Portland office Litigation department.
When John takes on a case, his first priorities are to determine what his clients have to gain and/or lose in the litigation, estimate how much the litigation will cost, and then communicate that information to his client as early as possible. With this information, John and the client can develop a strategy for the case at the outset that will help minimize surprises down the road. The strategy in some cases will be to achieve an early favorable settlement, and in others will be to mount an all-out offensive with the goal of victory at trial. While John excels at both strategies, he prefers the latter. John maintains a positive, proactive approach in his communications with his clients, and as a result, his clients will know not only their chances of success, but also that John will do everything in his power to achieve that success.
Breach of fiduciary duty/shareholder disputes
Recognized as leading trial lawyer
Antitrust and unfair trade practices
Admitted to Practice
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
U.S. District Court District of Oregon
J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, 1981
B.A., Political Science, University of Minnesota, 1978
Undergraduate Studies, Carleton College
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Classroom Law Project, 2014-present
- Board of Directors, Mt. Hood Museum and Cultural Center, 2015-present
- Board of Directors, St. Andrew's Legal Clinic
- Antitrust Section, American Bar Association
- Executive Committee; Chairman, 2013, 1997, 1989 – Section on Antitrust Trade Regulation and Unfair Trade Practice, Oregon State Bar
- Associate Member, American Knife & Tool Institute (AKTI)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Litigation: General Commercial (Oregon) by Chambers USA, 2005-2006, 2009-2018; Received "Band 1" ranking, 2016; With respect to antitrust, one commenter stated in Chambers, "The state’s best antitrust litigator."
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Antitrust Law by Best Lawyers, 2008-present; named in Commercial Litigation, 2010-present
- Named as "Lawyer of The Year" by Best Lawyers, 2015, in Antitrust Litigation
- Selected to "Oregon Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2007, 2012-2018