Jamie Raghu advocates for content creators and publishers in First Amendment and intellectual property disputes in and out of court. Jamie regularly represents clients in lawsuits involving defamation, copyright infringement, and invasion of privacy, and she advises clients on related pre-publication and pre-broadcast legal issues. She also has experience in complex commercial litigation.
The core of Jamie’s litigation practice is defending online and traditional media companies and individuals against libel claims, often by asserting constitutional and other speech-protective defenses in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Recently, Jamie has represented HarperCollins publishers and author Laura Kipnis against defamation and invasion-of-privacy claims arising from the book “Unwanted Advances: Sexual Paranoia Comes to Campus.”
Jamie’s practice also isfocused on working with producers, publishers, authors, and media companies to quickly and cost-effectively resolve copyright infringement claims through motion practice, mediation, and negotiation.
Jamie also provides pre-publication review and advises on a wide range of related issues, including copyright fair use, defamation, and invasion of privacy.
Admitted to Practice
New Jersey, 2012
New York, 2013
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2017
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2015
U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2016
U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2016
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2012, with honors
- Vice President, Intellectual Property Law Society
- Mentee, Women’s Mentorship Program
B.A., Communication Studies, University of Michigan, 2007,
- Associate, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, New York, N.Y., 2012-2015; 2016-2017
- Law Clerk, Hon. Edgardo Ramos, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, New York, N.Y., 2015-2016
- Summer Associate, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, New York, N.Y., 2011
- Media Associate, Starcom Worldwide/Leo Burnett, Chicago, 2007-2009