Alex Reynolds' strategic data protection practice centers on providing holistic, tailored, and actionable advice that is understandable to lawyers and non-lawyers alike. Alex draws on his years of experience advising clients across a diverse spectrum of organizations from online clothing retailers to healthcare systems to large technology companies. He uses this experience to help clients benchmark their compliance efforts and accurately assess risk.
Alex is an expert in developing privacy law compliance strategies for transactions, the product development lifecycle, and advertising technology. He developed the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) compliance strategy for an ad tech company; drafted multiple "playbooks" and internal policies to help clients navigate everything from data protection impact assessments to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance; negotiated more than 100 data protection agreements; and has helped over 40 clients comprehensively assess and respond to their privacy compliance obligations, including the CCPA, GDPR, COPPA, and other sector-specific federal and state laws. Alex also routinely advises clients on data security, including proactive development of information security programs and responding to data breaches.
Developed a major advertising technology platform's CCPA compliance program. Advised multiple clients on CCPA compliance with respect to third-party tracking technologies, reconciling CCPA and GDPR/ePrivacy Directive requirements related to website cookies, and managing "service provider" relationships.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) service provider management
Developed a large corporation's "playbook" to manage data processing agreements between the client and its thousands of service providers.Authored guidance documents for a large telecommunications provider explaining CCPA compliance requirements and including a roadmap.
International breach response
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia, 2018
J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 2012
- Production Editor, Journal of Law and Technology, (formerly CommLaw Conspectus)
B.A., Media Studies, University of Virginia, 2006, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, CIPP/US
- Consumer Advisory Committee, Federal Communications Commission, 2013-2016
- Disability Advisory Committee, Federal Communications Commission, 2015-2016
- Selected to "Washington D.C. Rising Stars," Thomson Reuters, 2019-2021
- Named to "Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll" by the D.C. Court of Appeals and the D.C. Superior Court, 2017
- Director, Regulatory Affairs, Consumer Technology Association, Arlington, Va., 2013-2016
- Government Affairs Counsel, The Wireless Infrastructure Association, Alexandria, Va., 2012-2013
- Legal Intern, House of Representatives, Energy and Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Communications and Technology, Washington, D.C., 2011
- Legal Intern, Google, Washington, D.C., 2011
- Legal Intern, Federal Communications Commission, Office of Commissioner Clyburn; Legal Intern, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, Washington, D.C., 2010