Alex Reynolds offers clients holistic, tailored, and actionable advice for privacy compliance, information security preparedness, and data breach response.
Alex specializes in privacy law compliance strategies for advertising technology, commercial transactions, and the product development lifecycle. He developed the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) compliance strategy for an ad tech company; drafted multiple "playbooks" and internal policies to help clients navigate everything from data protection impact assessments to General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance; negotiated hundreds of data protection agreements; and has helped numerous clients of all sizes and industries comprehensively assess and respond to their privacy compliance obligations.
Information Security and Data Breach
Alex is passionate about preventing information security problems, but when they occur, he is prepared to help clients get back to normal. To help clients prepare and comply, Alex uses frameworks like the NIST Cybersecurity Framework and CIS Controls to assess clients' security risks; drafts policies and supports clients as they implement them; and coaches clients on incident (breach) response. If clients' defenses fail, Alex draws on his incident response expertise to help them get back on their feet quickly and safely while helping clients navigate complex issues such as preparing for regulator inquiries, managing attorney-client privilege and chain of custody, and supervising outside resources such as forensics investigators.
Developed a major advertising technology platform's CCPA compliance program. Advised multiple clients on CCPA compliance with respect to third-party tracking technologies, reconciling CCPA and GDPR/ePrivacy Directive requirements related to website cookies, and managing "service provider" relationships.
International breach response
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) service provider management
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia, 2018
J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 2012
- Production Editor, Journal of Law and Technology, (formerly CommLaw Conspectus)
B.A., Media Studies, University of Virginia, 2006, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, CIPP/US
- Consumer Advisory Committee, Federal Communications Commission, 2013-2016
- Disability Advisory Committee, Federal Communications Commission, 2015-2016
- Selected to "Washington D.C. Rising Stars," Thomson Reuters, 2019-2021
- Named to "Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll" by the D.C. Court of Appeals and the D.C. Superior Court, 2017
- Director, Regulatory Affairs, Consumer Technology Association, Arlington, Va., 2013-2016
- Government Affairs Counsel, The Wireless Infrastructure Association, Alexandria, Va., 2012-2013
- Legal Intern, House of Representatives, Energy and Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Communications and Technology, Washington, D.C., 2011
- Legal Intern, Google, Washington, D.C., 2011
- Legal Intern, Federal Communications Commission, Office of Commissioner Clyburn; Legal Intern, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, Washington, D.C., 2010