Eric Feder collaborates with his clients to help them develop the content they publish or broadcast, and then works tirelessly to protect and defend that content once it is out in the world.
As a litigator, Eric has represented clients in cases involving defamation, copyright infringement and fair use, invasion of privacy and right of publicity, anti-SLAPP, reporter’s privilege, public access to the courts and the Freedom of Information Act, as well as general commercial litigation. Eric has extensive experience litigating and analyzing these issues in the digital and online context, and has developed expertise in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and Communications Decency Act immunities for posting third-party content; libel on social media platforms; potential liability from embedding content from other websites; and the unique jurisdictional issues that arise when content published online is technically accessible from any computer around the globe.
Eric applies his litigation experience to provide practical, realistic advice to his clients so that they can reduce risk and avoid liability before they hit “publish.” He works closely with reporters and editors at daily newspapers, websites, and television programs on everything from long-term investigations and breaking news stories to the social media posts promoting those stories. He also conducts seminars and education programs for journalists and publishers to provide guidance on these issues.
Eric also uses his First Amendment expertise to advise nonmedia clients—including government agencies—on free speech issues.
Online IP issues
Admitted to Practice
New York, 2008
District of Columbia, 2017
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2008
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2007, magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Editor-in-Chief, NYU Annual Survey of American Law
B.A., Music, Amherst College, 2002, magna cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Camp Winnebago Alumni Association
- Attorney Mentor, Legal Outreach – College Bound Program, 2008-2011
- Listed as "Up and Coming" by Chambers USA in Media & Entertainment (District of Columbia), 2022
- Named to "Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll" by the D.C. Court of Appeals and the D.C. Superior Court, 2019-2020 (High Honors)
- Law Clerk, Hon. J. Paul Oetken, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, New York, N.Y., 2011-2012
- Law Clerk, Hon. Kimba M. Wood, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, New York, N.Y., 2010-2011
- Associate, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, New York, N.Y., 2007-2010