Gilles is a patent scientist at DWT. Gilles Kepnang brings deep experience in intellectual property and the IT field to his role as a patent scientist at Davis Wright Tremaine. He has provided technological solutions to military defense projects and cybersecurity for internet-of-things smart-home environments. Gilles leverages his knowledge of patent applications, documentation, and processes to continue building his own high-value patent portfolio and helping clients to navigate the legal framework of submitting their own patents.
His practice also includes discussing and analyzing software requirements and systems, while working with technology-focused teams. His technological expertise extends into artificial intelligence, internet of things, deep & machine learning, and network security, among other areas.
M.S., Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, 2020
B.S., Computer Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2010
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member of USPTO Chapter, National Society of Black Engineers, 2019-2020
- SIGMOBILE Member, Association of Computing Machinery, 2018-2020
- Event Producer, Afropolitan Cities, 2017-2018
- Committee Volunteer for Political Engagement, Northern Virginia Urban League, 2014-2016
- Patent Examiner, US Patent & Trademark Office, Washington, D.C., 2012-2022
- Azure AI Engineering Mentor, Udacity, 2022
- Product Manager, Nexus 8 International, 2020-2021
- Research Engineer (Faculty-Supervised), Johns Hopkins University, 2020
- Application Development Analyst & Network Engineer, Fannie Mae, 2011-2012
- Software Engineer, Roccomar, 2011
- Microprocessor Systems Design Tutor, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Virginia Tech, 2009-2010