Barbara Simpson Kraft is a longtime Alaskan with roots in the state and contacts throughout. She represents a diverse group of clients in the state, including ANCSA corporations, hospitality entities, fishing companies, healthcare providers, and state agencies. No matter the client, Barbara enjoys learning the ins and outs of the business in order to provide practical legal advice with business goals in mind. She believes in taking personal time to visit client sites when possible to gain the understanding that comes from having walked a parcel. She serves as chair of the firmwide real estate and land use practice group, which consists of 35 attorneys across five offices.
Barbara 's practice is split between real estate advice, including entitlements work, and corporate advice. She handles all aspects of real estate ownership, including acquisition, financing (purchase, construction, and long-term), permitting and entitlements, construction, occupancy issues (including leasing), and sales. Barbara regularly advises clients needing assistance before state and local agencies on permitting, entitlement, and lease issues in Anchorage as well as in remote areas of the state. She represents owners, developers, contractors, investors, banks, and purchasers.
On the corporate side, Barbara's practice involves mergers and acquisitions, stock sales, governing document drafting and amendments, and presentations on fiduciary duties and other issues necessary for a board of directors to properly govern a corporation. She advises small, closely held companies with only a few directors, as well as corporations with boards of 25 or more. In addition, she prepares loan documents for secured and unsecured loans with various types of collateral.
Real estate acquisitions and sales
Corporate advice and counsel
Cooke acquisition of Icicle Seafoods
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court District of Alaska
J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 1988
- Order of the Coif
B.A., Journalism, Economics, Oregon State University, 1982, with honors
- Completed University Honors Program
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
- Alaska Bar Association
- Chapter L-Alaska, Philanthropic Educational Organization (PEO), 1984-present
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" by Chambers USA in Corporate/M&A Law, 2003-2019; Real Estate (Alaska), 2009-2019; Received "Band 1" ranking in Real Estate (Alaska), 2019
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Anchorage's "Lawyer of the Year" in Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2017
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Corporate/M&A Law by Best Lawyers, 2007-present
- Selected to "Alaska Super Lawyers" in Business/Corporate, Real Estate and Land Use/Zoning, Thomson Reuters, 2007-2011, 2013-2018