Ryan Richardson has deep experience negotiating and documenting strategic, business-critical relationships for fintechs, banks, retailers, and their financial services and tech partners.
Ryan joined DWT from Stripe, where he was Lead Global Partnerships Counsel, responsible for Stripe's enterprise legal relationships with its key financial infrastructure partners such as payment networks, leading financial institutions, large processors, and other tech providers. Before Stripe, Ryan was at another law firm and helped leading retailers document their most important strategic alliances.
Ryan's broad deal experience encompasses the enablement of payment products, marketplace lending platforms, BaaS offerings, and related technologies such as identity verification and data mining. A lifelong points and miles geek, Ryan has significant experience with card-based and tender-neutral loyalty programs. He also advises on transactions for the sale, migration, or wind-down of financial products, services, and portfolios.
In all these areas, Ryan's approach is risk-tuned, efficient, and anchored in a clear, practical understanding of the client's products, business objectives, and technologies. It's also vitally informed by the deep regulatory experience Ryan gained working at the FDIC early in his career.
Fintech infrastructure relationships
Retailer fintech relationships
Card and loyalty program relationships
Admitted to Practice
New York, 2018
District of Columbia, 2015
J.D., Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, 2012, cum laude
- Judge Abraham Caruthers Teaching Fellow
- Articles Editor, Cumberland Law Review
B.A., Birmingham-Southern College, 2007, cum laude
- Lead Global Partnerships Counsel, 2021-2022; Product Counsel, 2019-2021; Financial Partnerships Counsel, 2018-2019 – Stripe Inc., New York
- Associate, Financial Services, Morrison & Foerster LLP, New York, 2015-2018
- Associate, Financial Services, Ballard Spahr LLP, Washington, D.C., 2014-2015
- Attorney, 2014; Honors Attorney, 2012-2014 – Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., Washington, D.C.