NOVEMBER 9, 2015 – Peter Karanjia, a partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, has been named a 2015 "MVP of the Year" in telecommunications law.
Karanjia was one of just five telecommunications lawyers nationwide to receive the honor from Law360, the leading online news service covering the legal industry.
“Peter’s work for our clients has been exemplary,” said Danielle Frappier, co-chair of the communications group at Davis Wright Tremaine. “His deep understanding of the regulatory process and players, as well as his legal acumen, skillful advocacy, and deft collaboration with colleagues have combined to produce outstanding outcomes in some very high-stakes matters.”
Karanjia is a member of Davis Wright Tremaine’s Communications, Media, IP & Technology practice and co-chair of its Appellate practice. He rejoined the firm in 2013 after serving for three years as deputy general counsel of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Karanjia was recognized by Law360 for his contributions to the success of Davis Wright Tremaine clients in a number of important cases over the past 12 months, including:
- A U.S. Supreme Court ruling establishing that local authorities must offer reasons when denying a wireless provider’s application to build a wireless facility.
- A favorable, multi-agency settlement of a multimillion-dollar enforcement action against a leading telecommunications company.
- Favorable resolution of a “bet-the-company” enforcement action involving the FCC’s first foray into cybersecurity.
- Successful FCC advocacy on behalf of the largest wireless industry trade association in a dispute over the awarding of a contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Successful petition for review in the Oregon Supreme Court on a novel question involving taxation of Internet access, which the FCC recently reclassified as a "telecommunications service."
Prior to his service at the FCC, Karanjia was an associate and then partner at Davis Wright Tremaine from 2000 to 2007. He earned his B.A. and M.A. in law from the University of Oxford and his L.L.M. from Harvard Law School.
The communications team at Davis Wright Tremaine was recently honored by Best Law Firms and U.S. News as the national "Law Firm of the Year" in the communications practice area.
About Davis Wright Tremaine
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is a national law firm with over 500 lawyers representing clients based throughout the United States and around the world. The firm was recently named "Innovative Law Firm of the Year" by the International Legal Technology Association. For more information, visit www.dwt.com.