Contact: Mark Fefer, Marketing Communications, 206.757.8583 or firstname.lastname@example.org
DECEMBER 21, 2015 –Davis Wright Tremaine LLP has been named a 2015 "Practice Group of the Year" in Telecommunications by Law360, a leading online news service covering the legal industry. The firm is one of just three nationwide to receive the honor in this practice area.
"This is wonderful recognition for a practice group that is committed to providing clients with first-rate service in new and innovative ways," said Jeff Gray, managing partner of Davis Wright Tremaine. “We work on the leading edge of regulatory and transactional matters across the industry, and I’m extremely proud of the outstanding results we were able to achieve for our clients."
The practice team was recognized by Law360 for its success in a number of important cases over the past 12 months, including:
- A U.S. Supreme Court ruling establishing that local authorities must offer reasons when denying a wireless provider’s application to build a wireless facility.
- A favorable, multi-agency settlement of a multimillion-dollar enforcement action against a leading telecommunications company.
- Favorable resolution of a “bet-the-company” enforcement action involving the FCC’s first foray into cybersecurity.
- Successful FCC advocacy on behalf of the largest wireless industry trade association in a dispute over the awarding of a contract worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Successful petition for review in the Oregon Supreme Court on a novel question involving taxation of Internet access, which the FCC recently reclassified as a “telecommunications service.”
- Successful protest of an award of a five-year contract to serve a school district under the Universal Service Fund’s E-rate program.
This is the third major recognition for the team in two months. In November, Davis Wright Tremaine was honored by Best Law Firms and U.S. News as the national “Law Firm of the Year” in the communications practice area, and Peter Karanjia, a partner in our Washington, D.C., office was named a 2015 "MVP of the Year" in telecommunications law.
Four DWT telecommunications lawyers were named to the 2016 list of Best Lawyers in America: Chris Savage, Suzanne Toller, Mark Trinchero, and Dan Waggoner. Chambers USA named Paul Glist to its 2015 list of Leading Lawyers for Business in telecommunications.
The Davis Wright Tremaine telecommunications group has long been a critical adviser for market leaders and emerging companies alike. We represent clients in every corner of the industry, as well as trade associations and some large users. Our clients tell us we are unmatched in network deployment issues and very strong in wireless.
Our telecom lawyers have worked in the industry for more than 20 years and guided client through the tremendous changes the industry has experienced. Many have also held senior positions with companies, government agencies or associations—including the FCC, California PUC, AT&T Wireless, and INCOMPAS (formerly known as COMPTEL)—and therefore understand how to work efficiently with clients and effectively with regulators.
Our work covers the full range of transactional, regulatory and litigation needs, including:
- FCC and state regulatory work, including universal service
- Acquisition and sale of telecom company and assets including wireless spectrum
- All types of network and capacity agreements (interconnection; IRUs)
- All types of operational transactions
- Internet/e-commerce and digital media issues
- Facilities siting and permitting
- Litigation, including class actions and section 252, 253 and 332 cases
About Davis Wright Tremaine
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is a national law firm with over 500 lawyers representing clients based throughout the United States and around the world. The firm was recently named "Innovative Law Firm of the Year" by the International Legal Technology Association. For more information, visit www.dwt.com.