The Privacy Oracle consolidates significant U.S. legislative and regulatory developments at the state and federal level into a single publication. In this month’s issue, we offer:
- An analysis of how recent settlements and investigations demonstrate how existing federal laws might be used to enforce privacy norms, in the absence of federal privacy law.
- An update on the soon-to-be-finalized NIST Privacy Framework: what it is, why it could affect your company sooner than you think, and how you can shape it.
- An overview of recent developments related to the enforcement—and potentially the substance—of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
- In LitLand, we review the challenges associated with truly de-identifying data in the age of big data and ubiquitous collection of personal information through the lens of a lawsuit against Google and the University of Chicago.
- Our monthly Practitioner’s Corner explains how to initiate fact-finding conversations between in-house counsel and their business stakeholders to ensure everyone’s goals are achieved.