"Should I Be an LLC, S-Corp, C-Corp: Choosing the Right Entity Type for Your Business, and How It Can Save You Taxes When You Eventually Sell," Association of Washington Business, Bellevue, Wash.
By Keith G. Baldwin and G. Matthew Loftin
Choosing the right entity type for your business can have dramatic results as it relates to taxation, asset protection, and the eventual sale of your company. At this panel, the following related questions were discussed:
- How does it affect my personal taxes if I am structured as an S-Corporation vs. a C-Corporation or LLC?
- What type of entity is best for a stock sale or an asset purchase?
- How would the new proposed regulations of 2704 affect family businesses and their ability to discount gifted shares for lack of marketability or lack of control to the next generation?
- Should I have my different real estate assets held inside LLCs?
- What entity is best for owners with large medical expenses or conditions?
- What entity creates the most asset protection from creditors and frivolous lawsuits?
- What are the benefits of incorporating in specific states like Nevada, Delaware, Alaska, etc?
- What qualified retirement plans are available and how do they mechanically work with the taxation of different entities?