"AI, Big Data and Cloud Conference," hosted by Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Seattle
At this annual conference we explore cutting-edge legal, business, and technology issues in artificial intelligence, big data, and the cloud. New content for 2019 included: ethical issues in artificial intelligence (including corporate surveillance, profiling and algorithm bias); the new California consumer privacy law, along with a Washington state and federal legislative review; and in this year’s practicum, a focus on agreements for AI solutions, data sharing, data breach and data protection terms, as well as the latest in cloud contracting.
Welcome and Introduction to the Day
- Louisa Barash, Program Co-chair, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
Keynote Address: The State of the West Coast Tech Market
- John Cook, Co-founder, Geekwire
Privacy and Brexit: Commentary on the state of data protection in the UK
- Emily Jones, Partner, Osborne Clarke LLP
Government Surveillance and Intrusion Issues
Government surveillance efforts have increased in intensity and legal developments continue apace under FISA, treaties and the CLOUD Act.
- David Kris, Moderator, Founding Partner, Culpers Partners
- Jim Garland, Partner, Covington & Burling LLP
- Todd Hinnen, Partner, Perkins Coie
- Gail Kent, Global Security Lead in Public Policy, Facebook
Hot Legal Topics for AI
As AI becomes a prevalent market offering, we will discuss the varied issues raised by self-learning machines and autonomous systems and the related regulatory efforts.
- Lindsey Tonsager, Partner, Covington & Burling LLP
- MeMe Rasmussen, VP Innovation, Legal, Splunk
- K.C. Halm, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Che Chang, Sr. Corporate Counsel, Amazon
11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
Blockchain After the Hype
Blockchain is no longer a fad or a buzz word. It is an increasingly important part of the cloud and associated services market. Learn how new offerings are making these services a reality.
- Lance Koonce, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Derek Harris, Attorney, Microsoft
- Jenna Pilgrim, Director of Business Development, Bloq, Inc.
California Consumer Privacy Act and Federal and Washington Legislative Update
In the wake of GDPR, states such as California and Washington have passed or considered their own privacy statutes. We will discuss those as well as the potential for federal legislation.
- Helen Foster, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Tanya Forsheit,Privacy & Data Security Group Chair, Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz
- Alex Alben, Washington State Chief Privacy Officer (retired)
Ethics and Artificial Intelligence
Identify obvious and not so obvious AI ethical issues, understand ethical principles being developed around the world, and learn how to move from principles to practical counseling to help your clients mitigate AI ethics challenges.
- Holly Nguyen, Director and Associate General Counsel, Facebook Reality Labs
- Natasha Crampton, Senior Attorney, Microsoft Artificial Intelligence and Research
- Jill Ballo, Assistant General Counsel, Cloud + AI, Microsoft Corporation
Practicum – Drafting for AI, Big Data and the Cloud
A practical discussion about contracting for AI, data sharing, data breach risk allocation and data processing agreements, as well as best practices in cloud contracts.
- Patrick Basinski, Counsel, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Tom Wyrich, Attorney, Microsoft
- John Morrow, General Counsel, Apptio, Inc.