"Fair Use,” Washington Lawyers for the Arts
DWT partner Jeff Nelson and associate Lauren Schulz held a virtual workshop in which they discussed various aspects of fair use and copyright law.
The issues examined during the workshop included:
- What do artists need to know about copyrights and why is it important?
- Why should I protect my work from copyright infringement and how?
- Am I infringing, are you infringing, who is actually infringing?
- Isn’t fair use the answer? When am I able to use other copyrighted works without permission?
- What do the courts say? Learning about fair use from Leibovitz, the Beastie Boys, Warhol, and more