"Why Do You Care Where I Work? Concerns in the World of Remote Working," Annual Employee Benefits and Employment Law Seminar, Davis Wright Tremaine Webinar
This session covered the changing workplace landscape and the issues with remote working. Our speakers discussed best practices for managing remote work requests and the obligations employers should be aware of in the flexible workplace. The speakers examined privacy as it relates to monitoring and collecting remote employee data and communications, including the impact of the Department of Labor's cybersecurity guidance on benefits plans for remote workers. Our speakers also analyzed how COVID standards differ state-to-state and the potential union workforce issues in the remote world.
- Lay of the land
- How to manage requests – Do you need to let employees work in a different state?
- Are you now considered an employer in another state for tax purposes?
- Maintaining culture is hard
- Tools used to work – monitoring employees and employee communication
- Are you collecting new or different data about employees?
- Are employees using, storing, or accessing data in different ways?
- Do employees know they are being tracked?
- HIPAA issues
- Cybersecurity and benefit plans
- General considerations for remote workers and benefit plans
- Managing different COVID standards in different states
- Union workforce issues with remote work and employee monitoring
- Immigration Implications on Remote Workers
(On-demand versions are not eligible for CLE credit.)