Rachel Block is an associate in the firm's intellectual property, media, and technology practice, where she represents clients in the information technology, financial services, digital media, entertainment, and e-commerce industries. She drafts and negotiates agreements for: software and cloud service licensing; content acquisition and distribution in the education, ebook, film, and television industries; patent licensing, manufacturing, and distribution networks for consumer hardware; and complex procurement of technology and services. She assists with all phases of mergers and acquisitions, from pre-transaction IP diligence to post-acquisition integration. She also counsels clients on product launches and pilot offerings in enterprise, consumer, and education markets, providing guidance about contractual and regulatory requirements.
Rachel has a background in economics and statistics. Before attending law school, she worked as a researcher at a think tank and at the World Bank, focusing on climate change and international trade. She is applying her past experience as an econometrician and database jockey to understanding the statistical and legal issues that new artificial intelligence technologies present for her clients.
Content licensing and product launch
Technology procurement and sales
For technology, e-commerce, and financial industry clients, drafted and negotiated agreements for the procurement of on-premise software, cloud solutions, and professional services—ranging from freeware to complex, business-critical systems. Supported cloud service sales teams at start-ups and global technology companies.
Entertainment Content Acquisition and Distribution
- Updated and interpreted distribution agreements with video game creators and publishers to keep pace with technological evolution of gaming platform.
- Advised clients on intellectual property issues, including copyright, creative commons, and public domain.
Technology Sales, Marketing, and Distribution Networks
- Drafted new sales agreements for start-up providing satellite connectivity and geographic data, including equipment leasing terms and associated software licensing and data-as-a-service subscription terms.
- For clients in technology and payments industries, drafted agreements for sale and resale, through network of value-adding partners, of clients' hardware, software, and services to end-user customers.
- For global technology company, assisted in companywide streamlining and restructuring of software sales and distribution agreements governing long-standing partnerships with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).
- Drafted joint marketing and co-branding agreements for software and hardware companies.
Patent Licensing, Manufacturing, and Virtual Reality Hardware
- Drafted and negotiated component sourcing agreement, including a patent license, for virtual reality hardware.
- Drafted patent license to enable OEMs to create and distribute augmented reality headsets incorporating patented orientation and positioning technology.
Fintech and Financial Services
- Negotiated agreement on behalf of a global technology company for the provision of cloud services to a global systemically important financial institution (GSIFI).
- Represented a regional commercial bank in the procurement of security technology and of marketing and web development services.
- For a credit card issuer, managed local trademark counsel in connection with the international deployment of a custom mobile-wallet service.
- For technology, e-commerce, and financial industry clients, drafted and negotiated agreements for the procurement of on-premise software, cloud solutions, and professional services, for:
- Customer relationship management
- Inventory and financial reporting
- Learning management systems
- Recruitment and hiring
- Payroll processing
- Web content development and hosting
- Information security tools.
- Represented global technology company in complex negotiations with a vendor with whom client has long-standing, multi-layered business relationships, requiring coordination of large teams and diverse stakeholders.
- Negotiated deals on both client and vendor paper.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented private equity firm in acquisition of LiveOps Cloud Platform, a provider of SaaS-based cloud contact center and customer service solutions.
- Conducted IP due diligence of an augmented reality hardware company to support negotiation of reps and warranties for a sports and entertainment company.
- Assisted in many aspects of post-acquisition integration of company into global cloud services provider, including drafting a series of new form end-user agreements, sales channel partner agreements, and outbound software licensing agreements for the acquired company, and counseled regarding adoption of acquirer's policies and internal procedures.
- Drafted agreements for sales of goods and assignment of software licenses in connection with post-acquisition divestments by an acquiring company.
Finance, Energy, and Regulatory
- Drafted and negotiated agreements to obtain bank financing for clients in natural gas, logistics, marine transport, and fisheries industries.
- Conducted legal research and participated in discovery on behalf of major electricity customer in regulatory litigation regarding distributed generation.
- Advised electric utility regarding federal administrative regulations.
- Counseled clients, including restaurant chain and private individual, about state and city land use regulations.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2015, with honors
- Rubenstein Scholar
- Staff Member, Chicago Journal of International Law
- Board Member, Energy Law Society
M.S., Economics, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, 2007, with honors
B.A., Economics, Swarthmore College, 2004, with high honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
Memberships & Affiliations
- Volunteer Attorney, Housing Justice Project, 2015-present
- Volunteer Attorney, Lawyers Fostering Independence, 2015-present
- Selected to a list of "Ones to Watch" in Intellectual Property Law and Technology Law (Seattle), Best Lawyers, 2023-2024
- Research Assistant to Judge Richard A. Posner and Professor William M. Landes, The University of Chicago Law School, Chicago, 2012-2015
- Summer Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine, Seattle, 2014
- Summer Associate, Pacifica Law Group, Seattle, 2012
- Graduate Certificate in Mathematics and Statistics, George Washington University, Washington, D.C., 2011
- Consultant, World Bank, Washington, D.C., 2007-2010
- Research Assistant, Peterson Institute for International Economics and Center for Global Development, Washington, D.C., 2004-2006