Mike Borgia leads DWT's information security group in the technology, communications, and privacy and security practice. He advises clients on data breach prevention, readiness and response, complex internal investigations, and compliance with global security laws and regulations. Mike draws on his years of experience as outside counsel, cybersecurity consultant, in-house counsel at a global technology consultancy, and implementation project manager at a major software firm to help clients identify and tackle their toughest information security problems.
Mike's practice spans every phase of the information security lifecycle. He advises clients on compliance with global security, privacy and information technology laws, frameworks, and standards. He works with clients of all sectors and sizes to assess and improve their incident readiness and security posture.
A veteran incident response professional, Mike has led investigations of and responses to hundreds of security incidents, from ransomware attacks to trade secret theft to sophisticated nation-state hacking campaigns. After incidents occur and threats are contained, Mike works closely with his clients to identify root causes and incorporate lessons learned into their information security programs.
Complex data breach response
Lead investigations of and responses to complex data breaches and security incidents, including those involving state-sponsored threats, trade secret theft, ransomware, industrial espionage, and insider threats.
Privacy and security risk assessments
Develop privacy and security risk assessment programs and policies in compliance with the requirements of the CCPA, GDPR, NYDFS Cybersecurity Regulation, HIPAA, NIST 800-53, CIS Top 20 Controls, and other laws and regulatory frameworks. Lead legal and technical due-diligence reviews to identify and evaluate security, privacy, and information technology risks arising from M&A and other corporate transactions.
Litigation and disputes
Represent clients in all manners of disputes arising from information security risk and incidents, including with former employees regarding confidentiality obligations and trade secrets, and with vendors and business partners arising from data security incidents and breaches of confidentiality.
Admitted to Practice
New York, 2011
District of Columbia, 2013
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2010, cum laude
B.A., University of Notre Dame, 2005, magna cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT), International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Vice President, Stroz Friedberg LLC, an Aon Company, Boston, 2018-2021
- Legal Counsel, Cyber Security, Accenture LLP, Boston, 2016-2018
- Associate, Jenner & Block LLP, Washington, D.C., 2012-2016
- Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Timothy J. Savage, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 2011-2012
- Legal Honors Attorney, Office of General Counsel, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 2010-2011
- Implementation Consultant, Epic Systems Corporation, Madison, Wis., 2005-2007