Burt Braverman is a seasoned litigator, deal lawyer, and regulatory counsel whose years of practice have invested him with multidisciplinary experience cutting across numerous industries and practice areas that include technology, communications and media, antitrust, international trade, and commercial and regulatory litigation.
As a co-leader of the firm’s International Trade, Investment and National Security team, Burt advises clients on compliance with U.S. trade sanctions, export controls, and national security laws—including the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR), and the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations—addressing the export of U.S. commodities and technology, licensing and sale of U.S. technology to foreign customers, joint ventures and development efforts with foreign partners, and the extraterritorial reach of U.S. export control and trade sanctions laws.
His practice further includes representing companies in enforcement matters brought by U.S. trade agencies such as the U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security, the U.S. Treasury Department Office of Foreign Assets Control, Defense Counterintelligence Security Agency, and Customs and Border Protection. Burt represents clients before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and Team Telecom, obtaining clearance of foreign investments in, and acquisitions of, U.S. companies and infrastructure, and negotiating mitigation agreements where required. He also guides clients on compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA) and related anti-corruption laws, and the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
Burt also is an experienced international trade lawyer, representing clients before the departments of Treasury, State, and Commerce on matters arising under U.S. trade sanctions, export control, and antiboycott laws, including compliance strategies, defense of government enforcement actions, and structuring contracts to address international trade concerns. He also represents clients before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and "Team Telecom" on review of foreign investment in—or acquisition of—U.S. companies, and advises clients on compliance with the Foreign Agents Registration Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Communications, Media & Telecom
Burt is recognized as one of the preeminent communications lawyers in the United States, representing clients in the cable television, content, broadcast, and internet sectors. He represents domestic and international communications, telecom, and media clients in contract negotiations—including M & A, content licensing and distribution, and production agreements; sponsorship and endorsement deals; undersea cable agreements and satellite transponder contracts—as well as in litigation. Burt has been recognized by Who's Who – Communications, Data and Telecom, Dealmakers to Know, Chambers and Partners, and was inducted into the Cable Television Pioneers.
Access to Public Records/Trade Secrets
Credit Recovery & Bankruptcy
Employment & Labor
Theft of Ideas
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia, 1970
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. Court of Appeals D.C. Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 1969, with honors
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of International Law, 1968-1969
B.A., Political Science, Miami University, 1966
Memberships & Affiliations
- Washingtonians for Children (division of Fedcap), member, advisory board
- International Lawyers Group, member, Executive Committee
- American Bar Association, Government Information and Right to Privacy Committee, Section of Administrative Law, former vice chair
- Kids Enjoy Exercise Now of Greater D.C., board president
- Kids Enjoy Exercise Now USA, member, board of directors
- Partners For Kids, member, business community advisory board to District of Columbia Child & Family Services Agency
- Annual District of Columbia Child & Family Services Agency Holiday Campaign for Foster Children
- DC Works Student Intern Program, member, advisory board
- Mount Zion and Female Union Band Society Cemetery, volunteer/advisor
- Selected to "Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2010, 2013-2021
- Named a "Top Lawyer" by Cablefax, 2018
- Featured as a "2014 Dealmaker To Know," Multichannel News, April 21, 2014 ed.
- Named to "Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll" by the D.C. Court of Appeals and the D.C. Superior Court, 2012, 2018-2020; High Honors 2018-2020
- Named as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Telecom-Broadcast & Satellite: Regulatory (District of Columbia) by Chambers USA, 2008-2009
- Selected to “The International Who's Who Legal” of Business Lawyers-Communications Lawyers, 2002-2007; Regulatory Communications Lawyers, 2003-2012, Data – Telecoms and Media Lawyers, 2019
- Recipient, Willard J. Wright Award for Outstanding Civic Performance, 2008
- Washington SmartCEO Magazine's 2007 "Legal Elite"
- An International Who's Who of Telecoms Lawyers, 1st and 2nd editions
- Cable TV Pioneers
- Partner, Cole Raywid & Braverman LLP, Washington, D.C., 1974-2006