Applying his years of experience serving as in-house counsel for entertainment companies, Ian Brereton takes a business first approach when advising clients on matters ranging from day-to-day production issues to complex finance and tax incentive structuring, and everything in between.
Ian helps clients structure, negotiate, and draft agreements at every stage of entertainment transactions, including acquisition, development, finance, production, talent, and distribution agreements, to help get projects from concept to screen. His practice further includes safeguarding intellectual property through registration, maintenance, and protection. Whether dealing with global franchises or festival projects with A-list talent, Ian is adept at shifting his approach to meet his clients' needs.
Prior to joining DWT, Ian oversaw the business and legal affairs for development, production, finance and distribution companies. His experience in this regard also includes legal corporate governance, formation, state and federal tax filings, equity fundraising, cap table management and employment, and consultant agreements.
Film and television
Entertainment debt and equity finance
Admitted to Practice
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2009
- Arts and Entertainment Law Journal
- Intellectual Property Association
- Sports and Entertainment Law Association
B.A., Political Science, University of Michigan, 2005
- University Honors
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars Honorary Society
Memberships & Affiliations
- Intellectual Property Law Section, California Lawyers Association
- Senior Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs, WTG Enterprises, Beverly Hills, Calif., 2018-2022
- Vice President, Business and Legal Affairs, AMBI Distribution, Beverly Hills, Calif., 2017-2018
- Vice President, 2016-2017; Senior Counsel - Business and Legal Affairs, 2014-2016 — Cinelou Films, Los Angeles
- Senior Counsel, 2013-2015; Counsel – Business and Legal Affairs, 2012-2013 — After Dark Films, Los Angeles
- Principal, The Law Offices of Ian Brereton, Esq., Los Angeles, 2009-2012