Anthony Caso has a broad ranging real estate and financing practice and represents real estate developers, lenders, and institutional investors in the acquisition, disposition, development, and financing of various real estate assets. He has worked on numerous purchases and sales of various real estate assets across the United States, including office buildings, apartment complexes, industrial properties, shopping centers, and residential subdivisions. Anthony is experienced in the formation, restructuring, and termination of real estate joint ventures, and other ownership arrangements in the real estate industry. He also represents institutional lenders and borrowers in construction and permanent real estate finance transactions.
Large-scale purchases and sales of real estate
Numerous acquisitions, dispositions, and joint ventures and restructurings including those on behalf of an Alaska based multibillion-dollar real estate portfolio, Texas based pension and real estate funds and a privately held Pacific Northwest real estate operating company, including the following:
- Purchases and sales of office buildings in New York City, Atlanta, Houston, Austin, Dallas, and Seattle.
- Purchases and sales of shopping centers and other retail properties in Chicago, Honolulu, Anchorage, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Tacoma, Portland, and Seattle.
- Purchases and sales of apartment complexes in Florida, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Oregon, and Washington.
- Purchases and sales of industrial facilities in Tennessee, California, and Washington.
- Represented a Texas public pension fund in the sale of a retail project in Honolulu to a Japanese purchaser.
- Represented a Texas-based real estate fund in its acquisition of a high-rise office building in downtown Seattle.
- Represented an Alaska based real estate portfolio in its acquisition of a high-rise apartment building in downtown Chicago.
Real estate joint ventures
- Represented a private equity investor in the formation of a joint venture to construct a mixed use residential, office and retail development in Seattle.
- Represented the acquirer of a 50 percent joint venture interest (held through a private REIT) in a group of title-holding entities owning and office building in Midtown Manhattan.
- Represented a Texas public employee pension fund in the restructuring and financing of joint ventures owing retail projects in Hawaii.
- Represented a large Alaska Native corporation in the formation of joint ventures to develop a shopping center in Anchorage, and in the formation of a $100 million series of joint ventures to acquire distressed apartment projects in the Southwest.
- Represented an equity investor in the restructure of several joint venture projects.
Numerous financings and workouts on behalf of national and local financial institutions and the developers and operators of real property assets, including the following:
- Represented borrower in connection with $275 million portfolio financing secured by properties in California, Colorado, Hawaii, Texas, and North Carolina.
- Represented national financial institutions in numerous construction and term loans on wide variety of commercial properties in California, Oregon, Washington, New York, and New Jersey, including office buildings, retail projects, assisted living facilities, apartment buildings, tax credit and tax-exempt affordable housing projects, and condominium projects.
- Represented agent bank in $117 million construction loan for office building on headquarters campus of Fortune 100 company.
- Represented large privately held borrower in its ownership restructure and $100 million dollar financing.
- Represented financial institutions in the sale of distressed office and commercial loans.
- Represented financial institutions and private lenders in numerous loan workouts, restructurings and foreclosures of properties in Washington, California, and Oregon.
- Represented financial institutions with the sale of bank owned properties in Washington, California, and Oregon.
- On behalf of tenants, negotiated and drafted headquarters office leases in California, Washington, and Oregon including headquarters leases for publically traded and privately held companies.
- On behalf of landlords and property managers, negotiated and drafted office, retail and warehouse leases in the Seattle area.
- Negotiation of numerous office leases for building owners and anchor tenants in California, Washington, and Oregon.
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
J.D., Seattle University School of Law, 2002, cum laude
B.A., Brown University, 1996
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Transportation and Urban Planning Committee, Bellevue Downtown Association, 2010-2014
- Board of Directors Argonaut Housing Association, 2007-2010
- Board of Directors Admiral Housing Association, 2007-2010
- Board, Newcastle Baseball Club League, 2015-present
- Board of Directors, Leadership Tomorrow, 2016-present
- Leadership Tomorrow, Class of 2009
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Real Estate Law by Best Lawyers, 2016
- Selected to "Washington Rising Stars" in Real Estate, Business/Corporate and Banking, Thomson Reuters, 2010-2012