Alli's No Dabbler Details
Hometown: Manhattan Beach, Calif.
What’s your sweet spot as it relates to this industry?
If I have to pick, let’s say food safety and food labeling.
What was your favorite food as a kid?
Macaroni and cheese (don’t judge).
If you couldn’t be a lawyer, what would you be?
A therapist, a farmer or a writer.
Why is food/bev/ag your chosen industry?
It is something that touches everyone’s life in many different ways. Food is about health, culture, pleasure, community, entrepreneurship, the environment, and social justice, among myriad other things.
What book or song inspires you the most, and why?
One book that inspires me in my food and agriculture work is “Bringing It to the Table: On Farming and Food,” by Wendell Berry. He writes thoughtful and insightful pieces about our food and agriculture system – how we got here and where we are going – all things we should keep in mind as we work to improve our food and agriculture system.
What is your favorite food travel destination, and why?
Santa Barbara, Calif., because the farmers markets are open all year and you can get perfectly ripe avocados.
Admitted to Practice
LL.M., Agricultural and Food Law, University of Arkansas School of Law
J.D., Drake University Law School, with high honors
- Certificate in Food and Agricultural Law
- Order of the Coif
- CALI Academic Achievement Award
- Drake Law Review
- President, Agricultural Law Association
- Treasurer, Health Law Association
B.A., Interdisciplinary Studies in Pre-Naturopathic Medicine, California Lutheran University, summa cum laude
- Merit Scholar
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board Member, Portland Farmers Market
- Board Member, Zenger Farm
- American Agricultural Law Association
- Vice-President and Board Member, Farm Commons, 2011-2018
- Named one of the "Top Authors" in JD Supra Readers’ Choice Awards, 2016 and 2017
- Adjunct Professor of Food Law, Lewis & Clark College of Law, 2017
- Senior Clinical Fellow, 2014-2015; Clinical Fellow, 2012-2014 – Food Law and Policy Clinic, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Mass.
- Farm Intern, The Salad Garden, Columbia, Mo., 2012
- Contributor, FoodSafetyNews.com, 2011-2012
- Research Assistant, Professor Neil Hamilton, Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa, 2010-2011
- Intern, Iowa Attorney General’s Office, Environmental and Farm Division, Des Moines, Iowa, 2010
- Policy Consultant, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency, Des Moines, Iowa, 2010
- Legislative Intern, OFW Law, Washington, D.C., 2009