Lisa Dayan represents employers in discrimination, wage-and-hour, and contract cases in state and federal courts and before government agencies. Her proactive approach to employment-related matters focuses on counseling and training human resource professionals and managers to avoid costly and time-consuming litigation so that employers can focus on accomplishing their goals.
Lisa provides training on issues such as workplace harassment prevention and litigation avoidance, and helps managers and human resource personnel respond to employees' performance problems in both unionized and non-union settings. She also conducts comprehensive human resource audits, which includes reviewing and revising handbooks and other policies, reviewing exempt and non-exempt employee classifications for compliance with wage- and hour-laws, and providing advice regarding collective bargaining issues.
An experienced litigator, Lisa has represented employers in cases before state and federal courts, including three federal court jury trials, as well as administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New York State Division of Human Rights, the New York City Commission on Human Rights and the National Labor Relations Board.
Advice and counsel
Advice and Counsel
Conducted and guided workplace investigations into employee complaints of harassment, discrimination, and retaliation.
Employee leaves of absence
Assisted employers with navigating the interplay of federal, state and local laws, including the FMLA, ADA, New York Paid Family Leave, and New York City Earned Sick and Safe Time, to determine whether employees must be provided with paid or unpaid leaves of absence.
Requests for reasonable accommodations
Assisted employers responding to requests for reasonable accommodations of disabilities, pregnancy, and religious beliefs.
Discipline and discharge
Counseled managers and human resources personnel responding to performance and disciplinary issues. Negotiated separation agreements.
Wage and hour law compliance
Advised on compliance with federal and state wage and hour law regarding exempt/non-exempt and employee/independent contractor classifications and meal and rest breaks.
Personnel policies and postings
Helped employers update employee handbooks and workplace postings to insure compliance with changing laws.
Administrative Charges and Litigation*
Helped obtain dismissal or favorable settlement of charges of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and unfair labor practices filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New York State Division of Human Rights, the New York City Commission on Human Rights, and the National Labor Relations Board.
Defended employers in state and federal court cases, including obtaining jury verdict for employer in a sexual harassment case and summary judgment dismissals of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims.
* Denotes experience prior to joining Davis Wright Tremaine
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court District of D.C.
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1991, cum laude
- Associate Editor, New York University Law Review
B.A., Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University, 1988
- Irving M. Ives Senior Award
- Felix and Sophie L. Seidenberg Award
Memberships & Affiliations
- Labor and Employment Law Section, New York State Bar
- Labor and Employment Law Sections, New Jersey State Bar
- Senior Counsel, 2005-2021; Associate, 2002-2005 – Kauff McGuire & Margolis LLP, New York
- Human Resources Consultant, William V. Ryan Community Health Center, New York, 2002
- Associate, Roberts & Finger (later Greble & Finger, LLP), New York, 1996-2002
- Associate, Cummings & Lockwood, Stamford, Conn., 1996
- Associate, Seyfarth, Shaw, Fairweather & Geraldson, Washington, D.C., and New York, 1994-1996
- Legal Coordinator, Office of Risk Management, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, D.C., 1994
- Associate, 1991-1993; Summer Associate, 1990 – Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, New York
- Law Clerk, Cohen, Weiss, & Simon, New York, 1989, 1991