Kathy Dent helps employers of all sizes navigate the complex array of state and federal employment laws. From anti-harassment to medical leave, she helps employers implement policies that comply with applicable law, and helps promote the employer’s business objectives and culture.
In her more than 20 years of experience, Kathy has advised countless employers on best practices for managing their workforce. She also regularly negotiates and drafts contracts concerning all aspects of the employment relationship, including employment contracts, independent contractor agreements, severance agreements, noncompetition, and confidentiality agreements.
Kathy regularly defends employers against claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, and contract disputes. She provides employers with practical advice on the best strategy for defending against any such claims while promoting the employer’s business objectives and priorities.
Kathy’s 22 years of experience includes more than six years as in-house counsel for PacifiCorp, which gives her firsthand knowledge of cost-effective ways to partner with clients and provide responsive, results-oriented counsel.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Nebraska School of Law
M.A., Social Psychology, University of Nebraska
B.A., Psychology, Willamette University
Memberships & Affiliations
- President, Oregon Lawyers Against Hunger, 2005-2007
- Labor and Employment Section, American Bar Association, 1996-present
- Oregon and Federal Bar Associations, 1996-present
- Oregon Women Lawyers Association, 2014-present
- Assistant General Counsel, PacifiCorp, Portland, Ore., 2012-2014
- Senior Counsel, PacifiCorp, Portland, Ore., 2008-2012
- Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Portland, Ore., 2004-2006
- Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Portland, Ore., 1996-2003