Matthew (Matt) Diggs is a former federal prosecutor with more than 15 years of criminal and civil regulatory experience—from investigation through jury trial. He leverages that experience and his deep knowledge of various substantive legal areas to assist clients with challenging white collar cases and investigations.
As an assistant United States attorney for the Western District of Washington, Matt played a leading role in many of that office's largest and most high-profile white collar investigations and prosecutions during his tenure. He served as a senior member of the Complex Crimes Unit, with a particular focus on healthcare fraud, environmental crimes, investment fraud, and tax prosecutions, trying 11 cases to verdict and resolving an equal number on the eve of trial. Matt's experience conducting and overseeing coordinated investigations among law enforcement agencies in multiple districts and overseas gives him an exceptional ability to support clients in complex, high-stakes matters.
Given his background handling a wide variety of white-collar cases, Matt works with clients in many industries, including the healthcare, media, and technology industries. His experience and sound judgment provide great value to clients facing the challenge of responding to a government investigation, conducting an internal investigation, or successfully handling a complex litigation matter. As an experienced trial lawyer who has tried cases in federal court and argued before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Matt regularly handles litigation matters from inception, through trial, and appeal.
Matt represents many clients in criminal and civil healthcare fraud matters. As a former Health Care Fraud Coordinator for the Western District of Washington, Matt uses his experience directing multi-agency fraud investigations to effectively defend against False Claims Act investigations and other government enforcement actions.
After law school, Matt clerked for the Honorable Anthony J. Scirica on the Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit. Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney's Office, Matt spent several years in private practice. He was a first team NCAA Division III Soccer All-American and continues to play and coach.
Significant experience with government investigations
Seasoned trial lawyer
Healthcare fraud experience
Government Investigations and Complex Litigation
Federal Prosecutor Experience
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2003, magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Senior Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- National Moot Court Team
- James Wilson Merit Scholarship
B.A., American Studies, Amherst College, 1999, magna cum laude
- Doshisha Prize for top thesis in American Studies
- First Team, NCAA Div. III, Soccer All American; Final Four Team 1997
Memberships & Affiliations
- William L. Dwyer, American Inn of Court
- King County Bar Association
- Youth Law Day Volunteer, Federal Bar Association
- Moot Court Judge, University of Washington Law School
- Coach, West Seattle Soccer Club, 2016-2022
- EPA-CID Bronze Medal for Commendable Service (for U.S. v. Stowe Construction), 2013
- IRS-CID Award of Excellence (for U.S. v. Hazelrigg), 2015
- FDA-OCI Appreciation Award (for U.S. v. Richard Marschall), 2017
- Assistant United States Attorney, Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Washington, Seattle, 2007-2020
- Litigation Associate, Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, 2004-2007
- Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Anthony J. Scirica, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit, Philadelphia, 2003-2004
- Summer Associate, Heller Ehrman LLP, San Francisco, 2003
- Summer Associate, Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, 2002
- Legal Intern, California Indian Legal Services, Escondido, Calif., 2001