Ambika Kumar Doran’s practice focuses on the legal risks posed by content. With a deep understanding of how free speech principles apply to evolving technology, she represents clients in cutting-edge litigation involving content liability and electronic privacy. Some of the world’s leading technology and media companies rely on her frank, direct advice and insightful advocacy.
Ambika has particular experience defending clients under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and other federal protections for user-generated content. She has helped defeat efforts to censor or otherwise challenge such content in courts around the country. She also regularly advises on and litigates First Amendment, defamation, copyright, and trademark, as well as public records, reporter’s privilege, and courtroom access for a wide range of clients.
Ambika is a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Defamation and other content torts
Admitted to Practice
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2007
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington, 2007
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2006, with honors
- Chicago Journal of International Law
A.B., Economics, French, Duke University, 2002
- Editor-in-Chief and President, The Chronicle, the daily independent student-run newspaper of the Duke community
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Governing Committee, American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law, 2015-2017
- Member, Training & Development Committee, American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law, 2010-2015
- King County Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association of Washington
- Board Member, Duke Student Publishing Company, 2002-2009
- Executive Committee, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Selected to "Washington Rising Stars," 2012, and "Washington Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2013-2018
- Recognized as one of "Washington's Most Powerful and Influential Women," National Diversity Council, 2016
- Summer Associate, Baker & Hostetler LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Summer Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine, Seattle
- Public Interest Law Initiative Intern, American Civil Liberties Union, Chicago
- Legal Intern, Legal Aid of North Carolina, Durham
- Legal Intern, Business and Professional People for the Public Interest, Chicago