Jim Flaggert focuses on estate planning, administration of trusts and estates, business-succession planning, charitable planning, and estate and trust disputes. He creates charitable trusts and foundations and limited liability companies and partnerships, and assists in creating and funding insurance trusts and qualified personal residence trusts. Jim assists clients with generation-skipping transfer tax planning, and with grantor retained annuity trusts, intentionally defective grantor trusts, and dynasty trusts.
Jim also practices in the aircraft acquisition and finance area, and has represented purchasers, financing parties and airlines in connection with the purchase and delivery of more than 1,000 Boeing commercial aircraft. He has also assisted such clients in connection with various related tax matters. Jim regularly assists in the pre-delivery financing of commercial aircraft.
Tax and estate planning
Working with client families and their businesses to capture their plans and succession strategies in the most tax efficient manner.
Represented airlines, leasing companies and finance parties in connection with the purchase, finance and delivery of over 1,000 new Boeing aircraft.
Charitable/tax exempt planning
Assisting clients to realize their philanthropic goals (by creation of charitable remainder and charitable lead trusts, wholly charitable trusts, private foundations and donor advised funds) and advise and sit on the boards of public and private charities.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1991
B.A., Economics, University of Michigan, 1988, with distinction
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Seattle
- Board of Trustees, Islands Fund
- Officer, CMR Foundation
- Eagle Scout
- Named as one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Trusts and Estates Law by Woodward/White, 2003-present
- Selected to "Washington Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2003, 2005-2021
- Named as one of the "Top 87 Business Lawyers" in Estate Planning/Probate/Trusts, Seattle Business Monthly, 2008
- Named as one of the "Best Personal Wealth Managers in the Seattle Area," Seattle Magazine, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Named as one of "155 Top Lawyers" by Seattle Magazine and Seattle Business Monthly, 2007