Steve Greenwald enables energy sector and other regulated clients to obtain timely and necessary approvals from—and advance policy objectives before—state and federal regulatory commissions. With a regulatory practice spanning over four decades, Steve has unparalleled firsthand experience and an exceptional industry perspective in all aspects of the energy sector. He focuses his practice on transactional, regulatory, litigation, and other dispute resolution matters for unregulated and regulated entities and their respective counter parties.
Steve advises on issues related to acquisitions and dispositions of, as well as financing for energy industry assets; negotiating and obtaining regulatory approval for power purchase, interconnection/transmission, and purchase-and-sale agreements; debt and tax and other equity financings; and utility rate and certificate proceedings. He has represented purchasers and sellers of regulated assets, solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, and natural gas power projects and financing parties; large institutional and other creditors in regulatory proceedings associated with utility bankruptcy filings; investor-owned and municipal electric utilities and oil pipeline companies; independent power producers; transmission, interconnection, and large electric consumers, including oil producers and commuter railroads.
Transactions involving regulated assets
Negotiated scores of power purchase, interconnection, and other agreements on behalf of developers and owners of wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, and natural gas electric-generating facilities across the table from the three major California regulated utilities. Regularly represent parties in disputes with utilities arising from transactions and provision of utility service.
Regulatory compliance and due diligence
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1973, magna cum laude
- Note and Comment Editor, Michigan Law Review
- Order of the Coif
B.A., Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 1970, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Power Association of Northern California, 2000-2003
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" by Chambers USA in Projects & Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (California), 2003-2022; Received "Band 1" ranking, 2007-2022
- Received the "John M. Davis Award for Outstanding Legal Expertise," Davis Wright Tremaine, 2022
- Selected by Best Lawyers as San Francisco's "Lawyer of the Year" in Energy Regulatory Law, 2021
- Received the "H. Stewart Tremaine Award for Exemplary Team Work," Davis Wright Tremaine, 2016
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Energy Law by Best Lawyers, 2007-present; in Energy Regulatory Law, 2013-present
- Selected to "Northern California Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2004-2019
- Awarded "2013 Top Rated Lawyer" in Energy, Environmental, & Natural Resources by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell