Steve Greenwald enables energy sector and other regulated clients to obtain timely and necessary approvals from—and advance policy objectives before—state and federal regulatory commissions. With a regulatory practice spanning four decades, Steve has unparalleled firsthand experience and an exceptional industry perspective in all aspects of the energy sector. He focuses his practice on transactional, regulatory, litigation, and other dispute resolution matters for regulated entities and their counter parties.
Steve advises on issues related to acquisitions and dispositions of, as well as financing for regulated assets; negotiating and obtaining regulatory approval for power purchase, interconnection/transmission, and purchase-and-sale agreements; debt and equity financings; and utility rate and certificate proceedings. He has represented purchasers and sellers of regulated assets, solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, and natural gas power projects and financing parties; investor-owned and municipal electric utilities and oil pipeline companies; independent power producers; transmission, interconnection, and large electric consumers.
Transactions involving regulated assets
Regulatory compliance and due diligence
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1973, magna cum laude
- Note and Comment Editor, Michigan Law Review
- Order of the Coif
B.A., Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 1970, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Power Association of Northern California, 2000-2003
- Received the "H. Stewart Tremaine Award for Exemplary Team Work," Davis Wright Tremaine, 2016
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Projects & Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (California) by Chambers USA, 2003-2020; Received "Band 1" ranking, 2007-2020
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Energy Law and Energy Regulatory Law by Best Lawyers, 2007-present
- Selected to "Northern California Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2004-2019
- Awarded "2013 Top Rated Lawyer" in Energy, Environmental, & Natural Resources by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell