Desktop Image: Hoag, Joseph
Mobile Image: Hoag, Joseph
Joseph P. Hoag
A client's life made easier and their legal risk reduced—that's my idea of success.
Joseph Hoag helps clients navigate and resolve complex employment law issues. As co-lead of the firm's OSHA team, he has deep knowledge of occupational safety and health law and has successfully defended citations issued by both federal OSHA and state-plan agencies nationwide. Joseph also advises clients on the byzantine, sometimes counter-intuitive rules governing employment background checks, which can carry draconian consequences for non-compliance. He has extensive experience advising clients on discrimination, retaliation, and accommodations, and has successfully represented clients at trial and on appeal in both state and federal court.
Occupational safety and health
Nationwide OSHA practice; has advised clients on compliance with workplace safety and health laws, assisted with safety audits and investigations, and represented clients in hundreds of federal or state occupational safety and health agency complaints, inspections, citation appeals, and whistleblower charges.
Employment litigation and counseling
Advocates for clients, from single plaintiff to class actions; successfully achieves client litigation goals, whether that be resolving disputes early and on favorable terms, or prevailing in litigation, including in dispositive motions, jury trials, and appeals in federal and state courts.
Fair Credit Reporting Act/Background checks
Advises regarding and helps establish employment background check programs that comply with the current quagmire of federal, state, and municipal background check obligations.
Admitted to Practice
U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Washington
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2009
- Executive Editor, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy
- President, Harvard Student Chapter, J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Research Assistant, Professor Guhan Subramanian, Corporate Law
B.S., Psychology, Brigham Young University, 2005, magna cum laude
- Dean's List
- Golden Key Honor Society
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA), Utah State Courts
Memberships & Affiliations
- Former Board Member and Secretary, MS Helping Hands – The Donor Closet
- Former Board Member, Excel Public Charter School
- Extern, Hon. Ronald B. Leighton, Federal District Court for the Western District of Washington, Tacoma, Wash., 2010
- Judicial Clerk, Justice James M. Johnson, Washington State Supreme Court, Olympia, Wash., 2009-2010
- Extern, U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Massachusetts, Criminal Division, Boston, 2007
- Summer Intern, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Office of Policy and Legislation, Washington, D.C., 2007
Your search returned no results. Please try another search or remove search criteria.