Elizabeth (Liz) Hodes works with Alaska's diverse group of employers on maintaining positive and productive workplace environments. She helps clients address employment issues before they occur, providing advice and counsel on all types of personnel matters—including leaves of absence, wage and hour, and harassment prevention—and conducting investigations when necessary. Liz also specializes in executive-level employment matters, advising boards through complex leadership challenges and transitions. While her goal is to avoid costly disputes, when litigation does arise Liz ardently defends her clients from employment claims across the spectrum, from discrimination to noncompete issues and everything between. Although she often works with clients towards early and efficient case resolution, her experience in trial, arbitration, and appeals before the Alaska Supreme Court proves valuable at all stages of litigation.
For her corporate clients, Liz litigates disputes related to corporate governance, contracts, unfair trade practices, and other issues. She also has experience representing unionized employers, advising them on maintaining labor peace. Liz has represented healthcare entities, oil and gas companies, financial services companies, utility providers, broadcast companies, and a variety of other businesses. Given that many of her clients are in industries where privacy and security are of pivotal importance, Liz has expertise working to protect confidentiality and related interests.
Liz is recognized as a top labor and employment attorney by the leading publication Chambers USA, which quotes clients as saying, "We look up to her and trust her legal opinion - she is truly invaluable to us."
Advice and counsel
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court District of Alaska, 2005
J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, 2005, cum laude
- Intellectual Property Certificate
- Member, Cornelius Honor Society
- Business Law Roundtable Scholar
- Editor-in-Chief, Animal Law Review
- Style and Format Editor, Oregon Intellectual Property Newsletter
B.A., Political Science, Minor in Economics and English Textual Studies, Syracuse University, 2002, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- President, Board of Directors, Anchorage Association of Women Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Employment Law Section, Alaska Bar Association
- Healthcare Law Section, Alaska Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section, (Co-chair 2007-2012), Alaska Bar Association
- Named as one of "America’s Leading Lawyers for Business" by Chambers USA Labor & Employment (Alaska), 2015-2022; Received "Band 1" ranking for Labor & Employment (Alaska), 2022
- Selected to "Alaska Super Lawyers" in Employment & Labor, Thomson Reuters, 2017-2021