Harry Korrell is a strategist who pulls together multi-disciplinary teams to solve complex legal and political challenges. He practices litigation and employment law and has extensive experience in large-scale and high-profile cases, including class actions and federal preemption, civil rights, campaign finance, noncompete, and election litigation. His experience includes winning cases in state and federal trial courts, the U.S. Circuit Courts, the Washington Supreme Court, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Harry has served as counsel to the Washington State Republican Party and represented gubernatorial and presidential candidates as well as political committees in election matters. In 2010, he was appointed by President Obama and confirmed by the U.S. Senate to serve on the board of directors of the U.S. Legal Services Corporation, and he continues to serve on the board, providing financial support to nonprofit civil legal aid providers.
Election and public policy litigation
Representing candidates and political committees in election litigation (including the 2004 gubernatorial election recount and contest litigation in Washington); advising clients on campaign finance and other election issues; drafting initiatives and referenda and guiding clients through the process of passing legislation through the initiative process; and challenging defective initiative measures both pre- and post-election.
Challenges to government overreach
Representing businesses and trade associations in challenges to state and local regulation, including litigating preemption and other constitutional challenges, and challenging attempts by governments to legislate and regulate beyond their authority.
Protecting clients' intellectual property by enforcing noncompetition agreements and defending related claims; defending companies against employment claims (including discrimination, wage and hour, wrongful termination, and retaliation claims) in both individual and class action cases.
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia, 1995
U.S. Supreme Court, 2005
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington, 1994
U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1995
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Washington, 2000
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2001
U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2006
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1993
B.A., Philosophy, University of Washington, 1990, magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Legal Services Corporation, 2010-present
- Executive Board, Puget Sound Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities Subcommittee, Labor & Employment Law Committee, American Bar Association
- National Executive Board, Labor and Employment Law Practice Group of the Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy (former)
- King County Bar Foundation (former)
- Washington State Republican Party Judicial Endorsement Committee Chairman, 2004
- Washington State Election Counsel to Bush-Cheney '04 Inc.
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" by Chambers USA in Labor & Employment (Washington), 2017-2018
- Received the "Willard J. Wright Award for Outstanding Civic Activity," Davis Wright Tremaine, 2015
- Recipient, Justice Theodore Stiles Award, Puget Sound Chapter of the Federalist Society, 2006
- Selected to "Washington Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2004-2018
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Labor & Employment Law by Best Lawyers, 2010-present