Nancy Libin, co-chair of DWT's technology, communications, privacy and security practice, helps companies in a wide range of industries navigate the ever-increasing and complex array of privacy and cybersecurity laws and regulations. Nancy takes time to understand each client's business operations and objectives, recognizing that not every company has the same tolerance for risk. And because data is the lifeblood of today's digital economy, Nancy offers practical advice so that clients can manage and use data effectively—and responsibly—to achieve their business goals.
A former chief privacy and civil liberties officer of the U.S. Department of Justice, and counsel to then-Senator Joe Biden on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Nancy also brings a three-dimensional understanding of law, policy, and strategy that enables her to help clients understand and effectively participate in legislative activity and government proceedings.
Advice and counsel
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude
A.B., History, Harvard University, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Privacy and Civil Liberties Advisory Board, Palantir Technologies Inc., 2013-present
- Advisory Board, Cybersecurity Law Institute, Georgetown University Law Center, 2014-2016
- Co-chair, 2017-present; Member, 2016-present – Advisory Council, Center for Democracy & Technology
- Named to "Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll" by the D.C. Court of Appeals and the D.C. Superior Court, 2019
- Named to Media, Technology and Telecoms - Cyber Law (including Data Privacy and Data Protection), 2018; Telecoms and Broadcast: Regulatory and Media, Technology and Telecoms: Telecoms and Broadcast: Transactional, 2016, 2017; Cyber Law and Media, Technology and Telecoms - Technology - Data Protection and Privacy, 2016; by "The Legal 500 U.S. Edition"
- Chair, Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice, Jenner & Block LLP, Washington, D.C., 2017-2018
- Partner, Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice, Jenner & Block LLP, Washington, D.C., 2015-2018
- Partner, Wilkinson Barker Knauer LLP, Washington, D.C., 2012-2015
- Chief Privacy and Civil Liberties Officer, United States Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., 2009-2012
- Counsel, Senator Joseph R. Biden, Jr., United States Senate Judiciary Committee, Washington, D.C., 2007-2009
- Staff Counsel, Center for Democracy & Technology, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006
- Deputy Director of Delegate Strategy and Ballot Access, John Kerry for President, Washington, D.C., 2003-2004
- Associate General Counsel, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA, formerly NASD) , Washington, D.C., 1998-2003
- Associate, Howrey & Simon, Washington, D.C., 1993-1998