Bonnie MacNaughton helps companies protect themselves from cybercrime and other threats. She learned her craft as the leader of Microsoft’s North American digital crimes unit and as a federal prosecutor focused on narcotics trafficking, money laundering, and asset forfeiture. Bonnie has been lead counsel in over 40 federal criminal and civil trials, and has handled hundreds of trial court hearings and appellate arguments on issues such as copyright and trademark infringement, racketeering, online piracy, counterfeiting, unfair competition, trade secret theft, and computer fraud and abuse.
Bonnie teams with her clients to safeguard their assets, brands, and customers. She has decades of experience working with industry and law enforcement to combat a wide array of internet threats including piracy, phishing, tech support fraud, spam, cloud fraud, malvertising, business email compromise, and supply chain theft, among many others. Bonnie is highly experienced in the use of John Doe lawsuits to identify and take actions against the perpetrators of internet fraud who attempt to operate anonymously.
John Doe lawsuits
Cybercrime, Piracy, and Anti-Counterfeiting Litigation
Significant experience in building cases and litigating claims of copyright infringement, trademark infringement, false advertising and designation of origin, unfair competition, racketeering, computer fraud and abuse, trade secret theft, trafficking in counterfeit and illicit access devices, circumventing copyright protections, conspiracy, and common law fraud.
Counsel for Microsoft in numerous lawsuits against cybercriminals and software pirates, including over a dozen John Doe lawsuits to identify the perpetrators of unlawful activity.
Counsel for Amazon and other brands against multiple sellers of counterfeit products on Amazon.com.
Counsel for Fortune 100 clients in both asserting and defending end-user piracy and software compliance claims.
Internal and Third-Party Investigations and Legal Support in Criminal Referrals
Counsel for Fortune 100 clients in internal and third-party investigations and related law enforcement referrals, including securing restitution from criminal defendants and restoration and remission of forfeited assets.
Corporate Supply Chain Investigations and Dispute Resolution
Counsel for Fortune 100 clients in corporate supply chain investigations to remediate leakage and theft and resolve related liability issues.
Admitted to Practice
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Washington
U.S. District Court Central District of California
U.S. District Court Northern District of California
U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
J.D., Santa Clara University, 1982
B.A., Gustavus Adolphus College, 1978
Memberships & Affiliations
- Executive Board of Directors, International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition, 2009-2014
- Board of Directors, International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition, 2002-2018
- Board of Directors, Thomas C. Wales Foundation, 2004-2010
- Chair, Retention and Professional Development Working Group for Microsoft Legal & Corporate Affairs’ Diversity Committee, 2009-2012
- Co-President, Redmond High School Varsity Fastpitch Booster Club, 2015-2018
- Chair, United Way of King County’s Legal Steering Committee, 2018-present
- Member, United Way of King County’s Legal Steering Committee, 2014-present
- Co-Chair, DWT Women’s Affinity Group, 2015-present
- Member, United Way Legal Steering Committee, 2015-present
- Named as one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Litigation - Intellectual Property by Best Lawyers, 2018-present