Michaela Malone has more than 15 years of international legal experience across Australia, Japan, and Germany, and has been working with Davis Wright Tremaine’s Trademark Practice since 2012. She manages U.S. and foreign trademark, copyright, and domain name portfolios for a variety of industries.
- Coordinates the prosecution, maintenance, and enforcement of trademark and copyright registrations domestically with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. Copyright Office, and develops worldwide filing strategies, including the utilization of the Madrid Protocol and Paris Convention.
- Conducts domestic and worldwide clearance searches and due diligence review and analysis, as well as manages recordals in connection with mergers and acquisition activities including obtaining legalization of documents from state departments, local agencies, and consulates/embassies.
- Develops strategies for handling offensive and defensive conflicts worldwide, including monitoring international registry watch notices, and conducting research and gathering evidence in support of litigation or settlement and co-existence agreements, and drives them toward resolution.
LL.M., Intellectual Property and Competition Law, Munich Intellectual Property Law Center, 2010
Legal Practice, The College of Law, 2005
LL.B., University of Western Australia, 2003
Memberships & Affiliations
- Law Society of New South Wales, Sydney, 2005-present
- International Trademark Association, 2013-present
- Board Member, Washington Lawyers for the Arts (WLA), Seattle, 2012-2014
- Volunteer, Open Door Legal Services, Union Gospel Mission, Seattle, 2011-2014
- High Achiever Award, Shusaku Yamamoto Patent Law Offices, Osaka, Japan, 2007
- Finalist, Firm-wide Service Together Award, David Wright Tremaine, Seattle, 2015
- Legal Intern, Seattle Symphony Orchestra, Seattle, 2011-2012
- Legal Intern (Trademarks), Wuesthoff & Wuesthoff, Munich, 2010
- Legal Intern (Patents), Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Düsseldorf, Germany, 2010
- Attorney-at-law, Shusaku Yamamoto Patent Law Office, Osaka, Japan (3 years)
- Article Clerk, Feinauer Commercial Lawyers, Perth, Australia, (2 years)
- Tour and Promotions Manager, Scope Music, Perth, Australia (2 years)